Wednesday, June 26, 2013

52 Stories: Running Girl

Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.

This week's storyteller found my blog, thanks to Francine LaSala spreading the word. She took an interest in "52 Stories," so I invited her to participate. I admired her enthusiasm for answering the questions and have enjoyed getting to know her in this way. Her debut novel, Modogamous, will be published soon. You can pre-order it and help animals at the same time!

Name: Karen E. Martin
Age: If you know the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything, you know how old I am. ;)
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, OH

What is an experience that is legendary for you?
Probably one of the most memorable moments of my life was when my bestie and I went to the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. We were in Whistler village one evening after a whirlwind day of events, and the Medals Ceremony was being televised throughout the pedestrian area. We’d seen Bode win the gold earlier that day, and were already on an adrenline high from the amazing week we’d had thus far. We both stopped in our tracks, doffed our ski caps, and started singing the U.S. National Anthem as the screens showed Old Glory being hoisted. Out of nowhere, a man’s voice joined in our singing as he stepped up next to us to honor the flag. It was truly a beautiful moment. ‘Merica! *giggle*

What is your guilty pleasure?
I hate to admit it, but it’s probably reality TV. I watch Survivor (it’s my favorite show), The Biggest Loser, Chopped, So You Think You Can Dance, and sometimes Big Brother. I like reality shows because, ironically, they’re a break from reality.

What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
Go on safari in Africa. I’ve visited about 50 countries, and lived in North/West Africa for 2.5 years, but I never made it down to the Big Game areas of the continent. It’s my next big travel dream.

If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
I’m not sure I could part with my favorite things. I don’t have a ton of “stuff,” but what I do have, I’ve picked up during my travels. It all has special meaning to me and helps me remember times past. If anything, I would probably give some heirloom jewelry I have to the ladies in my family, I guess. It would mean more to them than my little trinkets anyway.

What is something you did that changed someone's life?
I remember one incident in particular. I was working in rural southeastern Morocco as a Peace Corps Volunteer. One day, going stir crazy, I decided to go out and take a jog, even though it’s something girls or women didn’t really do around town. (As a foreigner, I got a bit more leeway and was considered somewhat eccentric anyway, I’m sure.) As I was jogging through one of the old ksars (mud-wall villages), a crowd of kids gathered by the side of the street, pointing and shouting. Through the middle of the cacaphony, I heard one little girl’s voice: “Look, it’s a girl—running!” I don’t think she’d ever seen that happen before; I’d like to think it changed her outlook and opened up her world just a little bit. I also started the first girls’ basketball team in town, which is rather laughable if you are familiar with my (lack of) skills at round ball.

What part of your personality is now extinct?
I don’t know…I guess that naivete that we all experience as children. I may have lost my childish innocence, but I do try to retain a childlike wonder at the world and all the amazing things it has to offer.

What is one thing that you find really funny?
Arrested Development. It gets funnier every time I watch it.

Tell me about a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue.
I’d really like to be able to pick out whatever car I wanted. Right now I drive a ‘96 Honda Civic, and while it’s a great car (and will probably outlive me), it doesn’t fit much gear in it for road trips. I go camping a lot, so I really wish I could get a vehicle with more cargo space and that would be tough enough to haul a trailer if I wanted to do that. Cuz yeah, that’s just what I need…a trailer, which would encourage me to accumulate even more gear. ;) Secondarily, I’d love to get one of those huge, marvelous yurt-style tents, so I could make my camp set-up into a plush, getaway oasis. Oh yes, and two strapping lads to set the thing up for me, lol.

What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
For my childhood, I would’ve said Roseanne. We were that kind of family (at least the way I saw it). Now? I’m not sure. I really don’t think there’s currently a show out there that represents my demographic. That Girl, or Murphy Brown, perhaps? Man, I’m really dating myself with those ones, aren’t I? Ooh, how about Laverne & Shirley? Yeah, that’s probably a little more descriptive of my goofy shenanigans.

What is something that not many people know about you?
I may seem like a very social extrovert, but I’m mostly a big ol’ homebody. I love people, but I also need a lot of quiet time at home.

2 comments:

Karen E. Martin said...

Thanks for interviewing me! It was a fun set of questions - different from the usual. :)

Unknown said...

I love these interviews, Melissa :) Karen, hubs and I have just started watching Arrested Development and are addicted.