Thursday, August 22, 2013

Scared sterile?

It's the dawning of a new era, as our blog project group has changed by one member. As a result, we are starting Blog Project 3.0. The newest member is goodvibrations44, a friend of Moma Rock's, who seems really nice and easygoing. I look forward to reading what she has to say.

This week, Froggie chose the topic: Use this video from CNN.com as your inspiration for this coming week's post...http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/06/15/nr-blackwell-kosik-chicago-teen-pregnancy-ad.cnn.html

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Goodvibrations44
Moma Rock

A while back, Froggie posted about another issue related to teen pregnancy and I came up with a different, and possibly more effective solution. This time around, I want to give a round of applause to the marketing team who came up with this ad campaign and the brave teenage boys who modeled for the ads. I have to wonder what they were thinking when the ad execs told them their stomachs would be photo-shopped to look pregnant. But hey, it's money, right? If people are willing to announce on TV that they have herpes or a yeast infection, a guy can model for a pregnancy ad. I just hope they live in a different state so that they don't get teased for it. (I recently found out that the kid actors on Roseanne would get teased at school for something they said or did on the show. Teens are brutal!)

Anyway, back to the point....I think the message that teen pregnancy is not "cool" needs to be shoved in the face of every teenager out there. I've seen the outcomes of teen pregnancy, both on TV and in person. The guy doesn't always take responsibility either, leaving the girl to make tough decisions for themselves and their baby. Maybe if guys realized that they can't just get off the hook that easily, they'd be more careful in the first place. It would be nice to have some sort of "Scarlet Letter" system for guys who refused to take responsibility.

I know there are "Scared Straight" programs to get kids not to do drugs. Why not have them to stave off teen pregnancy and teach about abstinence. Find ways to really scare teenagers, as apparently watching a birthing video in health class isn't doing the trick. I remember how reading a Sweet Valley High book about a girl trying cocaine and then dying shortly after. That put me off drugs before I even reached my pre-teens. So maybe starting some scare tactic program prior to when kids are in junior high would do the trick? Get them when they're still vulnerable about everything. Teach more in sex ed class than how to handle getting your period.

In the video, it mentioned that the ads were tried in another state and the teen pregnancy rate went down. I really hope they have the same effect in Illinois and that they'll become more widespread as a result. Teen pregnancy is not as glamorous as MTV makes it out to be and it's time kids and teenagers learned the truth. I don't care how brutal it has to be....if it can prevent a baby from being flushed down the toilet or thrown in the garbage at prom, it will be all worth it!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I've always felt the same way... I think there needs to be more done in order to really get kids to understand just how serious teen pregnancy is. It's nothing glamorous.