Wednesday, November 27, 2013

52 Stories: A "Rose" by any other name

Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.

I first met this storyteller in 2010, when I won a book from her blog, Novel Escapes. (It was a Marian Keyes book, no less.) Who would have thought that a few months later, I'd start my own book blog? And when I did, she was very encouraging and supportive. Then we sort of lost track of each other. I'd see her around on Facebook though. When she announced that she had her own novel being published, we reconnected. I enjoyed reading it and also got to feature her at the blog. Of course, I did a standard interview (with a fun twist) at that time. With 52 Stories, I've had the chance to get to know her even better. Hope you will enjoy getting to know her too!

Side note: I am TWO stories away from my goal! Any more I get beyond those will be posted early in the new year, as I want to show that I still appreciate the effort. However, I won't be doing this again next year unless 52 people voluntarily send me stories without me having to ask. Wishful thinking, right?

Name you'd like to go by: Lydia Laceby
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Location: Toronto, Canada

What is an experience that is legendary for you?
Although the event happened so recently, it has to be BookBuzz Toronto and the day after which I spent with a group of incredible authors and one beautiful blogger who braved our writing talk. I’ve never hung out with other writers before and can’t believe how much we didn’t shut up! We couldn’t even stop talking enough to decide what sights to show the out-of-towners, and in the end we didn’t even show them ANYTHING! Except the World’s Biggest Bookstore, of course. I might have even enjoyed our hours of chit chat more than BookBuzz. Shhhh.

What is your guilty pleasure?
Although I don’t do this (much) anymore, I love melting chocolate chips and dipping a spoonful of peanut butter in the chocolatey goodness. Mmmmm. Would you please excuse me for a moment?

What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
I’d like to travel somewhere solo, the more intricate and exotic the better. I’ve never traveled by myself, and although I’d probably be a little freaked out I think the experience would be incredible for a shy, introverted girl like me.

If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
This has to be books. I love being a book matchmaker and finding the right book for the right person.

What is something you did that changed someone's life?
Although I may get struck down for being cliché, my debut novel, Redesigning Rose, has struck a chord with early readers. I’ve had the most wonderful feedback from those inspired to pick up a shovel to start a garden, to some recently separated women determined to make something of their torn-apart lives, to another who had come up with an idea and, after reading, really wants to make it a reality. I am honored to have been able to encourage and inspire others and as an author, there really is no better feedback.

What part of your personality is now extinct?
Giving everything for someone, to someone – usually a man – at my own expense. She’s LONG gone now.

What is one thing that you find really funny?
I’m not one to indulge, but some reason I find stoner humour hilarious. I could literally roll on the floor in tears from laughing. The episode of The Big Bang Theory where they’re camping and are offered spiked brownies is my favourite episode ever!

Tell me one thing you love about yourself.
I love that I never tire of learning. I’m always wanting to grow as a person and absorb anything I can from random facts to historical information. If I didn’t have to work I’d spend my days taking classes on subjects that interest me and writing novels. Ah, the dream.

What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
Right now, as I write this? Doomsday Preppers. My husband just came home from Costco.

*What is something that not many people know about you?
I suffer from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I haven’t been public about it and only those close to me know this.
I have struggled with both of these often intertwined illnesses for over fifteen years, the last three of which have been turnaround years. I’m on an upswing, but I’m still petrified every day that it will come back, that I’ll be in daily pain and sleeping for hours on end. Whenever I do too much – which is all the time lately – and become extra tired, debilitating fear creeps in. I wonder if I will always be burdened with this worry. But on the positive side, this fear makes me stop and take a few moments to re-evaluate, to prioritize and regroup. Sometimes all I need is a few moments of quiet, to take some time to myself, to take a day off and rest. Sometimes it really is just a matter of stopping to smell the roses, to be grateful and thankful. And not a day goes by that I’m not.
I haven’t shared this information for many reasons. It’s not that I don’t want to discuss it, or raise awareness, or cheer on those that have it. And it’s not just that I’m very private, which I am. The main reason is that I made a decision years ago that I didn’t want to let the illness define me. I wanted to focus on the positive, on the good days I have. So I try not to think about it or focus on it or even talk about it too much. And yes, this is all much easier now that I don’t struggle with the daily pain - I’m still working on the fatigue. I can often be heard saying how tired I am. I’m still working on that. I’m still a work in progress. And I’m okay with that. As long as I’m moving forward in the right direction, in the most positive and encouraging direction for me.

4 comments:

lydialaceby.com said...

Thanks for having me, Melissa! This was a fun interview to do and I love reading all the others!

Beth Hoffman said...

So it's true? I'm not the only one who melts chocolate chips for a decadent peanut butter dipping treat? I knew I liked you from the get go!

I'm saddened to read about your struggles with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago, and it always breaks my heart to see how much it has impacted her life. I'm so glad you have a handle on the pain. xo

Jackie Bouchard said...

Great interview, ladies! Such good questions! Lydia! I'm glad to hear you are on an upswing and I hope it stays that way!!

Cat Lavoie said...

Peanut butter and chocolate? i am SO there! :)
Loved reading this interview! I know someone with fibromyalgia and I've seen what a struggle it can be. I will echo Jackie's comment and wish you a continued upswing! :)