Thursday, November 28, 2013

You should be watching the Macy's parade....

Our blog project group has once again changed by one member, but I'm still calling it Blog Project 3.0. The newest member is Darwin Shrugged, a friend of Froggie's. I recently got to know her better through "52 Stories" and I look forward to what she has to say on the upcoming topics.

This week, Darwin Shrugged chose the topic: Give your opinion on Black Friday starting on Thanksgiving

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

I wrote about Black Friday last year, but this topic is a bit different.

One thing to be thankful for today is that I don't work in retail. I have today and tomorrow off, and I don't even have to spend my free time at the mall. (Haha...as if...you know how I am spoiled against retail prices!)

I thought the whole concept of Black Friday is that it is on FRIDAY....the day AFTER Thanksgiving. It's a whole day to shop-til'-you-drop! (Unless you observe Shabbat and then you only have half the day, but if you got up at 5 a.m., it's not a big deal.) Not sure when Thanksgiving became about retail and people getting gifts for their loved ones and other treats for themselves a day early, but this nonsense has to stop! It's not like the merchandise is going to disappear if consumers have to wait a day. Stores making their employees miss a day off to spend with family (or just relax after a busy month) is just cruelty. I understand grocery stores being open part of the day for people to get last minute cooking ingredients (because you may be missing the cranberries after all), but it's more for necessity than for retailers to make more money. Like they're not open every other day of the year for people to shop anyway? Is being closed on a NATIONAL HOLIDAY really going to kill their revenue flow? And if you REALLY need to shop on Thanksgiving, why not do it online, from the comfort of your own couch? You won't have to fight the crowds, you can stay in PJs and watch the Macy's parade. And the stores will even ship the items to where you want them to go. Best of all, you'll be allowing retail workers to actually enjoy Thanksgiving.

Have a nice Thanksgiving...but may it only be from the comfort of your couch. If you are a retail worker stuck at the store today, know that your efforts are not going unnoticed and hopefully people will be boycotting stores enough that day so that you never have to go through this annoyance again!

*I just read an article about a Pizza Hut manager who lost his job for refusing to make his employees work on Thanksgiving. I love how he phrased his resignation and I hope he finds a better job soon. Bravo to him for taking a stand against greediness.

*Finally, a retailer who is doing the right thing!

*Sign a pledge to not shop on Thanksgiving.

*I found this posted on Facebook. Someone added a funny, tongue-in-cheek caption to it.


2 comments:

Sara said...

I also heard about the Pizza hut manager who was let go, because he wanted to give his employees a day off. It's sad to me that so many of us are consumed with the need to get MORE MORE MORE, that we've lost touch with what holidays and spending time with family is all about.

Denise K. said...

Ha -- opposite sides of the fence! I like your take on this and I love the cartoon. But, hey, in a way that was my family growing up, except it was the Edens Theatre in Northbrook, IL, that kept family members away. Guess I'm just used to it? Happy holidays!