Thursday, June 5, 2014

My favorite mistake

Our blog project group has once again changed by one member, but I'm still calling it Blog Project 3.0. The newest member is Darwin Shrugged, a friend of Froggie's. I recently got to know her better through "52 Stories" and I look forward to what she has to say on the upcoming topics.

This week Froggie chose the topic: One of the worst mistakes I've ever made.

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

This might come off as ironic, but so be it. Last week, I promised not to dwell on negative experiences from my past. Having made this promise is the worst mistake, since I can no longer do anything relevant with this week's post as a result. I'm actually relieved about this because choosing not to dwell on past negativity has helped me feel better about myself and life in general.

I can talk about times when mistakes I've made have led to something good. Like how moving to NJ turned out to be a mistake, but it led us to Maryland, which is something good. We did make some good friends in NJ and it helped me get my current job because I got a good reference from my job out there. So it wasn't a total wash. Or how I managed to upset my BFF to the point of not talking to me shortly after I got married. However, other circumstances brought us back together and now we're even closer than we were back then.  How about when I was trying not to single someone out over something rather minor and ended up pissing them off more as a result, causing them to un-friend me on Facebook? Know what? I met two new friends as a result. Not sure if that relates to things that happen for a reason, but I might not have met these friends if things hadn't gone down the way they did. While it's unfortunate that the previous friendship is no longer part of my life, I'm also thankful for the friendships that have resulted from this incident.

There's also the time recently when I forgot to put stamps on the Mother's Day cards I mailed out. I'm glad I was able to give the cards to my mother-in-law in person instead. My sister-in-law managed to get the card anyway, as the post office apparently wasn't paying attention. And then there's the time when I laughed at the Tickle Me Elmo doll at Kay-Bee Toys, thinking no one would ever buy that for their kid and then a week later it became a huge phenomenon and I realize that I could have totally bought it and sold it for three times what it was worth!

Really, most "mistakes" I've made have led me down the path to where I am today, in one way or another, so I can't really say that any are the "worst." Sure, some of them have sucked more than others, but as I said before...the past is in the past!

3 comments:

Tracey said...

I am totally with you that what seems like "mistakes" at the time turnout to be good things. :) Great post!

Sara said...

I think we learn a lot from our mistakes. I feel as though I made one recently, but even now I can see the good that's going to come from it and that in the end, it's going to all turn out okay. Thanks for your insight on this topic! It's a positive way to look at things, which I find refreshing!

AiringMyLaundry said...

It always amuses me the toys that become huge things. I normally don't get it.

But yes, we always learn from our mistakes.