Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A wrinkle in time...warp

This is a random post from livejournal that I found interesting.

January 4th, 2006
11:47 am - Oh, what a day!

this morning was so sucky. there was some miscommunication between me and my husband that caused neither of us to put eitan's formula in the fridge overnight (we're supposed to do this for day care). so then i had to re-make the formula because it went bad from sitting out all night. i went to the garage to get more nursery water and somehow i got locked out of the house. thankfully, my neighbor was around so i called my husband from her house. eitan was sleeping the whole time. i just felt so bad and it was one thing i did not want to deal with today. the upside of the day is that i get a free copy of "wedding crashers" on dvd. i got tickets for this promo from a local radio station, but they were for monday and they didn't arrive till yesterday. so i wrote to them to tell them what happened and to tell them that they should send out stuff like that a week in advance. they are sending me the dvd to make up for it.

i still am so behind on writing in here and catching up with e-mail and other stuff. i'm also behind on reading other people's journals and i apologize for that. i'll get my act together soon enough. one of my new year's resolutions is to be better at keeping in touch with people. my other two big resolutions are:
1. to keep shabbat better. i'm not becoming shomer shabbos, but i'm willing to give up tv, computer time, shopping, and going to movies on shabbos. we were doing that for a while and then slacked off when daylight savings came around for the summer. that is not going to happen again.
2. to keep the house clean and organized.

i will update this soon. i don't even remember the last time i wrote anything significant in here. :P


Follow up: After the lock-out incident, I had my husband pick up a "thank you" gift for our neighbor. I'm still in touch with this neighbor through facebook, but haven't seen her in a couple of years. She lives close to my parents, but our schedules clash when I'm in town. She's really nice and is one of the few memorable neighbors from my past. I know I could count on certain other neighbors to be there in a similar situation though, Hashem forbid that should ever happen again.

Since the occurrence of this incident, I am always carrying my keys with me whenever I leave the house, even just to throw out trash. I'm so paranoid about something like that happening again.

As for the part about resolving to keep Shabbos better, I've come a long way in over 4 years. I remember taking those little steps and then doing it all the way (as much as I am comfortable with, but enough that my brother-in-law and his family will spend a Shabbos weekend in our home). I can't even imagine going to movies or shopping on a Saturday afternoon these days. I just wish more fun events were held on Sundays instead of Friday night or Saturday afternoon. I just found out about Maryland Day and it's only on a Saturday. There are also concerts and other things I have to miss as a result (i.e. Idina Menzel coming to a nearby concert park but it would be before Shabbos ends on a Saturday and also during the 9 days before Tisha B'Av.) I even had to pass up the opportunity to see "Les Miserables" (after winning tickets) because it fell on the first night of Rosh Hashanah. All I can say is that if Adam Lambert's publicists are reading this and he comes to D.C., it better be on a weeknight or Sunday or there better be multiple concerts!

In any case, I am proud of my own level of restraint, no matter how much it drives my parents and sister crazy sometimes. :)

As for the part about being clean and organized...if the cleaning lady weren't coming today, the motivation to straighten up just wouldn't be there this month! I need to get back to my FlyLady goals. I did put aside a lot for Freecycle recently though!

No comments: