Thursday, July 8, 2010

Merrylandgirl's got "talent!"

I have a few friends who knit and blog and we've decided to embark on a blog project that has nothing to do with knitting. We're going to take turns coming up with a topic every Thursday and we each have to blog about it by the end of that day and post links to each others' blogs so that people can see our different perspectives on the same topic.

Check out the backstory about how the project was conceived and how we all came together.

Here are the other blogs:

Froggie Knits Like Crazy
Charmingly Random
Desperate Madness

This week, I decided to ask my fellow bloggers: What is your "not-so-special" talent? (I mean this to be something strange, but not artsy.)

If you talent judges out there are reading this, please consider this skill for "America's Got Talent." Toss some dates at me and I'll tell you whose birthday takes place on each one. Or I'll even tell you about an event (nothing majorly historical) that occurred on a given date. Yes, I have a strange ability to remember all sorts of dates and events. I remember the dates of birthdays, anniversaries, deaths, etc. I've always been able to do this and I would even remember the birthdays of my friends' family members. Nowadays, while I do rely on a birthday reminder and Facebook for some people, I still memorize the birthdays of people I know very well. I sometimes need the reminders because I know more people these days.

There are times when I'll get a date in my head and it will drive me crazy until I think of the person who is celebrating something that day. It also drives me crazy that I still remember the birthdays and/or anniversaries of people I no longer talk to. (Like the friend who fell off the face of the planet 7 years ago....I know she just had an anniversary this month because I had attended her wedding. And I still know my ex's birthday even though I don't care to acknowledge it. He just happens to share it with some people I actually do care about!)

My husband teases me about my ability to memorize dates, but it has come in handy. I know people feel special when I contact them on their birthdays and anniversaries. I just contacted a friend who had his 2 year anniversary yesterday. He seemed happy that I remembered. There are some other anniversaries coming up this weekend that I plan to acknowledge, as well. :) It also helps me when I need to fill out a form and have to remember the date of a particular event. Not that it happens that often, but it's good to know that I can pull it out of my memory bank when needed. I also use this talent for my Time Warp Tuesday posts on occasion, as well as my Friendship Friday posts. People are amazed at what I store in my memory bank.

Thanks to the ability to store phone numbers in my cell under a person's name, I don't have to rely on memory as much. However, the other day a friend called my parents' house and I knew it was her number, even after not thinking about it for years (since I could just choose her name from my contacts list). It also allows me to be right about things, even when others try to challenge me. It even came in handy when I was playing a new board game called "About Time."

Ready to challenge me?!? Bring it on!

No comments: