Friday, July 23, 2010

We'll always have Mr. Aah

This week's Friendship Friday post is about two friends again, since we were all roommates in college at one point.

I met C.C. during orientation before freshman year of college. For some reason, I thought her name was Lisa. We ended up in psychology class together during our first semester of school. We'd study together but that usually led to getting off topic every few minutes and ordering Chinese food. We started hanging out more often when we were home for winter break. We had napkin fights at Baker's Square and went to see "The Lion King." During second semester, we started hanging out more often and I got to know her roommate, as well. (That's another story for another time.) We started developing a lot of inside jokes and would make each other laugh a lot. During the following years, we stayed close. Then she went to Australia to study abroad for a year. We stayed in touch and then picked up where we left off when she returned. During my last year at school, we decided to move into the same apartment space. It was a house owned by a retired couple and they rented out their basement.

I also met J.M. during freshman year. I believe we had some classes together and we did some of the same activities outside of class. We also traveled amongst a similar group of friends. I always thought she was nice and enjoyed talking to her. In one class we had together, we were put into a small group for a project. We'd joke around about our teacher and some of the weird stories she told us. It made us less productive, but we did manage to come up with a finished project. Then she left school for a while. A few years later, I met her brother but didn't make the connection right away. Then he helped me make the connection one day and told me she was coming back to school. I told her about the rooms opening up in our apartment space and she decided to live with C.C. and myself during my last semester of school.

We had a lot of fun being housemates. I would cook for everyone when I was in the mood. We would spend hours sitting in the living room and talking about stories from the town where J.M. grew up. It was the best housemate situation. We gave each other space but also knew when one another needed company. Toward the end of the year, I was buying generic soda and one kind was a version of Dr. Pepper called Mr. Aah. I told C.C. about it after I showed her a crazy note that some colleagues had given me. It became a huge joke after that and anytime I came to visit them at school, I had to make sure we had a bottle of Mr. Aah.

There was also a thing with "Waiting for Guffman," which J.M. and I both love. We especially liked when Christopher Guest said "Everybody Dance!" She'd get me birthday cakes that said the same thing. Another time, I visited them and we were up all night laughing over a demented book in which a girl gives a boy a "poo and booger sandwich." So they got me a chocolate cake with mint chocolate chip ice cream and called it a "poo and booger cake." Then there was the broken table at the Canadian themed restaurant. We always had lots of good laughs like that!

Since that time, C.C. had moved back to the suburbs and we saw each other more often. I connected her with some friends of mine from high school and they became close too. J.M. was still living downstate and we'd go to visit her and her ferrets. We'd usually go to a movie or hang out at the Coffeehouse. She eventually moved to the city. The last time I saw her was in the fall of 2008. I recently saw C.C. when I was back in town though. The two of them get to hang out a lot since they both live in the city now. We all keep up with each other through Facebook too. I enjoy the friendships I share with both women and am thankful for all the fun times and laughs in college and beyond. I wish them all the happiness in the world. No matter how often or little we see each other, I know we'll always have Mr. Aah.

No comments: