I really like this time of year for a reason that has nothing to do with upcoming holidays or getting to wear sweaters. It's the time of year when we read about the story of Joseph in the Torah. Ever since I saw "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in 1994, I have become fascinated with this story. If only all stories from the Torah were made into musicals, I'd be reading the Chumash from cover to cover! When I was going to Sunday School as a kid, I thought that the story of Laban switching Rachel and Leah at the last minute was very interesting. I didn't know at the time that it would lead into the Joseph story so well.
For those of you who don't know this story already, here is a quick synopsis. Joseph is the most loved by Jacob because he was born to Rachel, his intended wife (prior to the wedding trickery). Jacob gives him a beautiful coat with many colors. Joseph is a dreamer and he interprets his dreams to mean that he's superior to his brothers. They become enraged and sell him into slavery, telling Jacob that he was killed by a goat instead. Joseph works for Potiphar and attracts the interests of his wife. He refuses her advances and she lies and tells Potiphar that he came on to her. He's thrown in jail, where he ends up interpreting dreams for his cell mates. The dreams prove to be true and Joseph becomes well known for his special skill. Meanwhile, Pharoah is having horrible dreams and asks Joseph's advice. Turns out, the dreams are predicting a full harvest followed by a famine. He tells everyone to prepare for the famine, which does become a reality. Pharoah makes him his right hand man. Joseph's brothers later come looking for help during the famine. They don't recognize Joseph and ask for his assistance. He then frames Benjamin for stealing his cup. The brothers show their loyalty to Benjamin and then Joseph forgives them. (I know there's more to it in the Torah, but I'm using the version that I understood clearly from the musical.)
When I first saw "Joseph...," I fell in love with the story and music. I loved how everything fit together so well. I found it fascinating how his ability to interpret dreams put him into such a high position of power, something he had interpreted from his own dreams initially. I loved how the music carried the story along and followed different styles throughout (country, reggae, 50's, etc.) Of course, I thought Donny Osmond looked hot as Joseph at the time and his singing voice fit perfectly into the musical.
My husband jokes about how obvious the rhyme scheme of the songs is, but the musical starts out with a teacher explaining the story of Joseph to young children. It's meant to be family friendly overall (although the part with Potiphar's wife is questionable). And if the rhymes make the songs easier to memorize, then so be it. My sister and I were singing the entire soundtrack word for word only a few weeks after seeing the show for the first time. And I still know all the words so I can sing the songs to my sons. I was thinking that I would want this to be the first musical I take my sons to see when they get bigger. I think they'll appreciate it and if it gives them a better understanding of the Joseph story in the Torah, then I consider it a bonus. I know I'd enjoy seeing it again anyway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment