This week's [Fiction] Friday topic: Include at least one of these words (or as many as you can!) in your story: “blaggard” , “boorish”, “betwixt”, ”stupendous”, “spiffing”
Post Prom
Diane squeezed herself betwixt Cara and Samantha at their tightly packed table in the cafeteria, shoving Cara's tray to the side and spilling her Diet Pepsi as a result. "So, Care-Bear, who is taking you to prom? I heard Josh Hill was going to ask you."
"The new varsity football player? As if! He's so boorish, just like the rest of the team. I have a date lined up anyway."
"Do tell!" Samantha chimed in between bites of her hot dog.
"It's a surprise, okay." Cara wasn't ready to tell her friends about Darren, the college junior she had met while searching for books for her term paper at Barnes and Noble two weeks ago. He worked in the reference section during his summer break and asked her if she was interested in meeting up at Applebee's for some burgers when his shift was over. She figured that he'd readily go to prom with her, considering how much interest he showed in her during their date. They had been talking on the phone almost every night since.
"Well, if you're going to prom, you do need some spiffing up. When was the last time you had a mani and pedi?" Diane had a thing about everyone needing makeovers. Even if her friends looked totally fine, she would still find an excuse for them to get one. Usually because it meant she could throw a makeover party, which she had loved doing ever since she started subscribing to Seventeen back in junior high.
"I usually don't get manis and pedis. The polish chips away so fast that it's just a waste of money." Cara looked at her nails, which didn't seem all that bad in her opinion.
"Suit yourself, but don't go wearing sandals this summer till you at least get a pedi. And don't wear open-toed shoes to prom either. When do you girls want to go dress shopping?"
"I saw the most stupendous looking dress at Nordstrom last week," Samantha offered.
"I think I want to go with a more vintage look." Cara liked to go against the norm whenever possible.
"Should we go shopping this Saturday? Prom is next week!" Samantha squealed.
"Count me in," said Cara.
* * *
Prom was everything Cara had hoped it would be. Darren had, of course, said yes to her invitation. Diane and Samantha were impressed with him and their dates seemed to get along with him as well, even though Cara had always thought of them as blaggards.
The post-prom party was held at Dave and Buster's, which stayed open extra late for everyone who wanted to attend. Cara and Darren had a skee-ball competition going on, the winner being entitled to the all the loser's tickets. When they became tired of it, they snuck off into a corner to make out. Darren was an intensely good kisser and things got steamy pretty fast. "Should we take this somewhere else?" he whispered between kissing her ear and working his way down her chin and to her neck.
"Mmmm...sure" Cara softly moaned. She couldn't see Samantha or Diane anywhere in the crowded gaming area, so she texted them that she was heading out and would meet them for lunch the next afternoon, as they had originally planned.
They-just barely-made their way to Darren's SUV, wrapped up in each other as they were. He drove them to a parking lot at a secluded park and picnic area. They then resumed their romantic entanglement in the backseat. He left the battery on so that they could have some background music. Cara could hear the strains of Bruno Mars singing "Just the Way You Are" as they continued to get hot and heavy.
Suddenly, Darren broke away from their embrace and leaned over to the front seat to fish around the glove compartment. "I came prepared" he said, winking at Cara as he pulled her back into his arms.
"Oh, really?" Cara didn't come prepared, at least not emotionally. However, Samantha and Diane were experienced already and she felt like she was lagging behind. Wouldn't they be impressed if she had something to tell them at their lunch gathering? She continued to kiss him as he started to unbutton his pants and slowly work them off.
* * *
The first time was nothing like she was expecting or hoping for. In fact, it was somewhat uncomfortable, given they were tightly squeezed into the backseat and a seatbelt clasp was digging into her cheek. It also hurt, which she was never warned about to begin with. She figured it wouldn't always be this way or no one would be sleeping together. One night of pain would be worth it if she could have many more nights of pleasure with Darren. However, her future fantasies were dashed over an early morning pancake feast at Denny's.
"Cara, you know you're really something special, right?"
"Um, I guess." She shifted around uncomfortably in her seat while methodically making circles in the syrup on her plate with a piece of her pancake.
"I just don't know that I can do this with you anymore. You're 17 and I'm almost 21. I think it's illegal or something. Plus, I am seeing someone at school."
Cara dropped her fork on her plate with a loud clang. "You think you could have told me this before I asked you to go to prom with me? And does your girlfriend know that she's dating a cheater?"
"I didn't know I was going to meet you and we have an open relationship for now. Being with you made me realize that I do want to be exclusive with her after all."
"You know that last night was....my first time."
"I kind of figured. Which also scared me a little. That you gave something so important to me. I don't know what I can offer you in return. I just know that you're young and you'll meet the right guy when it's meant to be. You're beautiful and any guy would be lucky to have you."
"So you're giving me the 'it's not you, it's me' excuse." Cara gulped down the rest of her now tepid coffee and got up to leave. "I guess I'll be going to Borders from now on."
"Cara..."
"Thanks for what I thought was a great night. Have a nice summer." She figured a flippant "yearbook" response was all he deserved at this point.
As she exited the restaurant to what was already turning out to be a warm, late-spring day, she realized that she didn't have her car with her. She didn't want to bother her friends yet and didn't want her parents to know what happened. And there was no way she was going back into the restaurant to ask Darren for a ride home. She kept some emergency money along with her cell phone in the small purse she bought to match her dress. She used both for a cab.
On the way home, she texted her friends that she was too tired for lunch, as she stayed out way too late. She then showered, crawled into bed and contemplated why she gave something so precious to someone who didn't care. And she thought the football guys were boorish. The thought of such irony made her laugh, even as she cried herself to sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Poor girl! I'm surprised she didn't throw her pancakes all over that guy and break the plate on his face. Or at least go outside and scratch up his car.
Oh this is so sad. You've got a knack for the YA genre. I'd like to see more in this field.
Melly, I'd love to see this story extended as a YA book. You captured so many great moments in a short amount of time. I want to read more! Did I ever tell you I'm a Skeeball legend? In my own mind :)I loved it! XO
Post a Comment