Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Someone you probably never heard of....

While looking for some music to play in my car this week, I came across "Too Much Plenty" by Beki Hemingway. I used to listen to this CD all the time back in the day. It has some really good tunes and her voice is so melodic and genuine. Hearing it again made me think about how much I missed it and also made me wonder why Ms. Hemingway never made it big the way most other singers have.
I first saw her in concert (10 years ago) when she opened for Aimee Mann at a small concert at a community college in the Chicago suburbs. Originally it was supposed to be Juliana Hatfield as the opening act. However, she was sick and Beki took her place. She kept apologizing for not being Juliana. She didn't have to be though. I was immediately taken in by her voice and the lyrics to her songs. My favorite on her album is still Ft. Bragg. It's about having a cool backyard where all the kids want to play. (This was sung from the point of view of a kid, as well.)
After her performance, I bought her CD, which she was selling in the lobby. She even autographed the cover, saying "I'm not Juliana." I listened to her CD all the time after that concert. It managed to stay close by in my collection, making it into several of my cars.
I definitely encourage you to check out her music and see why I like her songs so much. I didn't even know that she put out another album in the early part of the last decade. I just found this out today in a search to find out what has become of her.
If I hadn't been a fan of Aimee Mann at the time (thanks to the "Magnolia" soundtrack), I wouldn't have attended this concert and would have missed out hearing a great singer and listening to her CD for years to come. This makes me wonder if there are other great performers who are slipping under the radar unnoticed....

No comments: