Tuesday, November 23, 2010

They say she's so lucky, she's a star....

Back in June, I wrote this post about my views on luck. At that time, I had challenged my BFF to share her opposing view on the topic in her blog. She finally took me up on the challenge and you can read her opinions here.
I really like how she validates her point and comes up with real life examples to do so. It doesn't mean I agree with her, but some things do make sense to me. Like when she talks about someone not only being able to find a job, but also one they are happy at. I can attest to this from my husband's previous and current job experience. He originally found a job out here after we moved and was miserable for eight long months under the supervision of a verbally abusive boss. After four months of being unemployed from that job, he took the time to study for his project management certification and got a job shortly after he passed the exam. He's completely happy at this job and finally has the respect he deserves. So yes, what my BFF said does make sense in that respect. And that could be said for other things...like you could be set up in a relationship but it may or may not be the right one for you. Or you could win the lottery, but only get a small amount from it.
In the long run, I still hold true to my theory that you can not win if you don't play the game. Not that playing the game is going to guarantee a win, as my BFF points out (and it makes sense), but it's better to take a chance and potentially lose than do nothing at all and expect luck to fall out of the sky. And that's how Merrylandgirl "c's" it. :) (Apologies to Sue Sylvester, but I love that line.)

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I think we agree on this topic more than we think we do. I think we basically believe the same thing and just have a different way of expressing it.

Melissa said...

That makes sense. There's a line in "Joseph..." that makes me think of your line of thinking: "Anyone from anywhere can make it if they get a lucky break." I thought of you agreeing with that line. :)