Thursday, February 2, 2012

If I could turn back time....

Remember the blog project I did last year with three other women? Well, Froggie decided to resurrect it with me and we each got to invite another friend to join us. She invited a mutual friend (someone I met through her) and I invited a friend whose blog I really enjoy reading. So now it's Froggie, Mom of Many, Moma Rock and Merrylandgirl. Hope you enjoy the topics that we'll be exploring!

This week, Moma Rock picked the topic: If you could go back in time and change one historical event, which one would it be? Why would you, and what changes do you think would come from it?

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

How ironic that this is being posted on Groundhog Day, as I always think of the Bill Murray film where he lives the same day over and over until he gets it right. It would have been interesting if he had changed history in the process....

Seeing that this is all hypothetical and time travel is only fictional, I would change not only one, but two historical events.

I know Mark Wahlberg boasted about how he would have stopped 9/11 from happening in some superhero way and got in trouble for it. Even so, I wish I had a way to stop 9/11 from happening. I know I wouldn't have the power or clout to get people in a position of authority to listen to or even believe me until it was too late. It would have been a more discreet thing, like putting out an announcement that no one should go to the World Trade Center or board any planes on that day. I know this is all wishful thinking, but 9/11 was such a horrible day in America's recent history. I would do anything to see the twin towers standing proudly in NYC and all to be right in the world. Maybe families would still be intact and all those people who perished would be alive today to see their children growing up. I read in People magazine a while back about kids who were born after 9/11 but their fathers had perished in the towers or on a plane. It's so sad that these kids never got to meet their fathers as a result of this horrible tragedy. It's been over 10 years since 9/11 happened and I think the US is still hurting emotionally as a result.

The other event I would change would be the Holocaust. It was a horrible period in time for Jews. It's scary and appalling to even think about what happened back then. I could live without "Life is Beautiful" and "Sarah's Key" if I knew that there wasn't a real story to base them upon. The only thing I would want to stay intact is the relationships that came out of the Holocaust. My husband has survivors in his family, although they are no longer alive to talk about it. (I hear the stories from my mother-in-law and they're so heartbreaking.) Even so, my mother-in-law might not have been born without this event taking place, as her parents met as a result. That would start a chain reaction I don't even want to think about. So I would hope they could meet another way. (Kind of like in "Back to the Future" where Marty screws up his parents' original way of meeting but still gets them together anyway.)  I'm not sure how I personally would prevent it from happening, aside from warning all the Jews to get out of Europe prior to the 1940's, as I don't want to resort to violence to get the job done. I think the US would have protected Jews from a Holocaust. I would only hope that I could have helped as many people as possible, considering we didn't speak the same language. I'd probably have to explain it in pictures. Even then, would they believe me?

Again, this has all happened and there's no way to go back and prevent it. I only hope that education and tolerance will be increased so that events like 9/11 and the Holocaust never happen again.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I completely agree, with both events you would want to change.