Thursday, February 23, 2012

Saving it for later

Remember the blog project I did last year with three other women? Well, Froggie decided to resurrect it with me and we each got to invite another friend to join us. She invited a mutual friend (someone I met through her) and I invited a friend whose blog I really enjoy reading. So now it's Froggie, Mom of Many, Moma Rock and Merrylandgirl. Hope you enjoy the topics that we'll be exploring!

This week, Froggie picked the topic: Procrastination

Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock

This topic is pretty much the definition that you would find if you looked me up in the dictionary. My motto is "we'll figure it out." If I can find a way to put something off, I totally will! Lately, I've been putting off making appointments for myself and the kids. The worst of these delays is for dentist appointments. It took me long enough to pick up the phone and call my regular dentist, only to find out that they no longer take our insurance. I know where I want to go for future dental appointments, thanks to a move on my favorite hygienist's part. However, I have yet to call that dentist's office to make an appointment and it's been weeks since I found out who I should be calling in the first place. There are other appointments I'm taking my dear sweet time to schedule. The next is the pediatrician. I like our pediatric practice, but I feel bad seeing the kids get shots.

I've even been putting off planning a birthday party for two of my kids with upcoming birthdays. I finally took the steps to secure a location. Now I have to send invitations. Let's see how long that takes me to do. And I have a feeling I'll wait till the very last minute before making Shalach Manot for Purim. I was proactive two years ago and this year I keep thinking I have time to get it all done. I know two weeks will just fly by! And when Pesach comes around, guess who is going to avoid grocery shopping and cleaning until it can't possibly be avoided anymore? And don't forget about cooking either!

At work, I keep a reminder in my Outlook calendar to do certain things I have been putting off. I keep hitting a calendar snooze button on that reminder. I've been pressing that snooze button for weeks! Possibly months....

Housework is another thing I procrastinate on all the time. I hate putting away laundry unless the cleaning service is coming and it needs to be off the floor. I also hate doing dishes, especially by hand! I've been teased about how long I let dishes sit before cleaning them.

There are non-deadline items at work that I tend to push aside more often than I like to admit. I have a pile of papers on my desk that I have yet to go through, as well. Again, no deadlines involved, but it still looks messy.

And then there's the daunting task of choosing photos to print, getting them printed and putting them in photo albums. Maybe that's more out of laziness, but it's still something I'd like to do...one of these days!

Don't laugh, but I even procrastinate on watching movies. I'll want to see a certain movie but then other things will interest me even more. I think it drives my husband crazy. He's watched some movies without me, even when he knew I wanted to see them. However, he did save "Country Strong" for me, which we finally watched a few weeks ago. I've put off watching some TV shows, as well. We still have a whole season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" to watch. Plus, I'm slow going on catching up with "The Big Bang Theory." As far as books go, there are a lot I've put aside in the interest of reading for my blog. Even so, I'll accumulate more and more books and take forever to get around to reading them.

So, there you have it. I waited until the last minute to put this post together in order to have it ready at my usual Thursday time. I do procrastinate on blogging though. I know I have to write more posts for Empowering Parents. I also don't write in this blog half as much as I used to. And I take forever to reply to e-mails, as well. All in the name of procrastination.....

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yet you are always the first one to blog every Thursday! :) Great post!

PFlicker said...

Sounds like me!! My motto -- why do today what can be put off until tomorrow?