Thursday, November 10, 2016

My obsessions

Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about three years, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

We will be posting bi-weekly as life keeps getting in the way.

Darwin Shrugged got to choose the topic: Remember me

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.

Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

I struggled with this topic in terms of how I would present it. I'm so much better with specific topics than general ones. However, I got to thinking about how I remember myself and what came up a lot were my obsessions over time. I feel that the things I have been obsessed with while growing up (and even now) have defined me in a lot of ways. I'm just going to list them all and share the age I was obsessed with them. If you knew me during any of these times, you'll probably have fun memories of how my obsessions played out in my life.

Links are to my blog posts about these topics.

*The Wizard of Oz (4 or 5): I think I watched it every day.
*Annie (5-6): My sister and I would act it out all the time. (I got to be Annie though!) I also had doll versions of the characters.
*The Parent Trap (8-9): Another movie my sister and I would act out. (I was Sharon and she was Susan.)
*Madonna (8-10): I remember making a project for science class and doing a parody of "Material Girl" to go along with it. I also did a project for art class about her.
*Moving Violations (8): Such a funny movie! I’d watch it almost every day when I was a kid. It’s even funnier to watch as an adult.
*Back to the Future (9): I even made coloring books about it.
*Punky Brewster (9): I couldn’t get enough of that show. I even had a Punky doll.



*Sweet Valley High and Baby-Sitters Club: I couldn't get enough of either series and loved when they had new books out. I'm even writing fan fiction for the latter.
*A Chorus Line (9-10): My sister and I named our cat Cassie for one of the characters.
*Rags to Riches (10-12): I didn't like '50s and '60s music until I saw this show. I also loved that Tisha Campbell was in Little Shop of Horrors around the same time.



*Dirty Dancing (11): Two words: Patrick Swayze. Also, I take pride in the fact that I look like Baby.
*Girls Just Want to Have Fun (10 to present): I still listen to the soundtrack and lament over why Lee Montgomery wasn't in anything else after this classic flick.



*Full House (11-present): I still get warm fuzzies from this show and love watching Fuller House with my kids nowadays.
*Sing! (13-present): One of the best underrated movies ever. If you’ve heard of it, please let me know. I once spent a day going to a bunch of record stores to find the soundtrack. I still love listening to it.



*V.C. Andrews books (13-25): They saved my sanity during my teen years and I even started an online fan club when I was in college.
*New Kids on the Block (13): Joey was my favorite and I got to meet him many years later.



*Ren and Stimpy (15-16): I used to watch this with my mom and we’d imitate Ren all the time. She even got Ren and Stimpy stuffed animals for my sister and me. I lost Ren though.



*Les Miserables (15): I saw it the first time when I was about 15 and then kept listening to the soundtrack.

I love this song:


*Beauty and the Beast (15): I bought a book of sheet music for all the songs, if that says anything about my obsession. I can’t wait for the live action version!
*Animaniacs (18): I got into this show right before college started and then would race back to my dorm after class to watch new episodes. I even went to the mall when the Warner Brothers Store had Animaniacs day. I didn’t get to meet the actors because the people working at the store were not being very fair, but I got a picture of Jess Harnell, who even smiled directly at the camera.



*Friends (18-25): I still love making references to this iconic TV series and playing Scene It trivia with my friends.



*Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (17-18): After first seeing it in high school, my sister and I would listen to the soundtrack every day and memorize the lyrics. Then we saw it again for my 18th birthday.
*The Rocky Horror Picture Show (18-25): Magenta. Need I say more?!?
*The Lion King (18-19): I lost count of how many times I saw it in the theater after it came out. I would listen to the music all the time too.
*Jewel (20-21): Her music saved my sanity after my first break-up and while working at a horrible summer job. I got to see her in concert too.
*Welcome to the Dollhouse (20): Another underrated film, but I could definitely relate to it. I wouldn’t have minded having Eric Mabius hang out in my house when I was 12 though. #JealousofDawn (And yes, I bought the soundtrack.)
*Rent (20-present): “There’s only us, there’s only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.” I could probably single-handedly perform the entire show….at least in my car!
*Wicked (27-29): I saw it on Broadway, but knew all the songs well before then. It still had some amazing surprises that packed a punch.
*Chick lit novels (23 to present): My blog says it all!
*How I Met Your Mother (34-38): I got into this series after my youngest child was born and then binge-watched. My husband was into it with me.
*Orphan Black: I wish more people would see this show. It’s so fantastic! I’m sad that it’s ending after next season.
*The Mindy Project (37-present): Such a fun show and Mindy always knows how to make me laugh. I won a cast-signed script from one of the episodes a couple of years ago.
*Hamilton (now): I listen to the soundtrack and/or quote from it “non-stop.”
*Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (now): I can’t get enough of this show! Especially the music. And Greg…


4 comments:

Denise K. said...

Ok, witchy woman, I have been walking around ALL week singing songs from Rocky Horror AND Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat! I woke up with "Any Dream Will Do" stuck in my head! (Also, your reference to Animaniacs cracked me up!)

It's funny -- I have an easier time when our topics are vague. :)

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

I go through obsessions too and some of them are / were the same as yours - like Rent, RHPS, and Friends!

Sara said...

We have a lot in common! I also love a lot of what you've got on this list. In fact, N popped the Girls Just Want to Have Fun CD a certain someone sent me... ahem... into the CD player the other day, and we were listening to the music.

Samantha said...

I like so much of the same things!!