Wednesday, January 9, 2013

52 Stories: Scrabble Champ

Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell.

People from NJ are great about responding right away to my project request. :)

Name: Karen
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Location: NJ

What is an experience that is legendary for you?
My senior year in college was not an easy one. I struggled with uncertainty, depression, and financial issues. I commuted to a well-known campus in Philadelphia, and I was on the subway headed to my parents' house, thinking of my options, none of them good. I was almost failing a course..a course that if dropped would mean summer school to make up the needed credits to graduate. Summer school I couldn't afford.

My brother stepped in to lend me the money, but I was in distress, convinced I'd NEVER find the means to repay him.

I got home on that particularly dreary day and got a phone call:
I passed a rigorous audition and was selected to be on a very popular TV game show..where I made enough money to repay the loan!

I learned to "never give up" that day


What is your guilty pleasure?
What ISN'T?? I eat guiltlessly for pleasure and comfort, and then go into a comfortable denial when the numbers on the scale are escalating:)

What is something you've never done but would like to do?
Drive in Manhattan..in rush hour..when it's dark..when it's snowing..when the lanes become a free for all. Surviving THAT would help with so many issues...:) I could bungee jump over the Grand Canyon after THAT!

If you could give someone one of your favorite gifts, what would it be and why?
I'd give a kid a Scrabble set, Scrabble played a big part in my life, and I realized I was a player when I was about 12. I'd like to coach a beginner who has both interest and real potential.

What is something you did that changed someone's life?
Oh, I'm not the Great and Powerful Oz..I'd LOVE to think I brighten lives a little on a daily basis with my wicked sense of humor and my no holds barred personality. If I HAVE to answer this question, I'd say that I once brightened the life of one of the nation's first persons to be stricken with AIDS back in the early 80's. I spent an afternoon playing board games with him and it made him happy.

What part of your personality is now extinct?
I am no longer anyone's doormat. I don't need to be nice. If you step in horse manure, you better clean off your shoes before walking on my mat. I don't ignore crap anymore..I just walk away.

Tell me one thing that you find really funny:
David Sedaris..or my insane miniature poodle

Tell me one thing that you love about yourself, or a gift you'd give if money was no object?
Actually, the two are tied in. I love my need to share the wealth..I can't enjoy anything fun unless I'm sharing it with loved ones. So I want to win the lottery and take everyone who means anything at all to me to my favorite vacation spot. (Don't pack your bags just yet....I don't seem to have much Lotto Luck, especially since I don't play!)

What TV show, book, or movie is most like your life?
I am Lucy Van Pelt and Rhoda Morgenstern, I am Debra Barone (Everybody Loves Raymond) and I am a lot of plus-sized heroines from Jennifer Weiner novels, 'though they dress better and are probably thinner..:)..a little thinner...:)

What is something that not many people know about you?
I'm not much of a cat fan....

1 comment:

The Book Chick said...

Karen, loved your answers!!! And I'm dying to know which game show now :)

Melissa, great project! I will be back for every one of the 52 weeks :)