I've been blogging with three fabulous women for over a year and a half now and have been enjoying all the fun topics we come up with week after week. If you want to see what we've discussed in the past, check out our posts here.
This week, I chose the topic: In "Seasons of Love" from the musical Rent, they ask "How do you measure a year?" Throughout the song, they list the ways in which one might do so. ("In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee...") Talk about how YOU measure a year.
Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock
Anytime I listen to "Seasons of Love," I always wonder about how people measure a year in their individual ways. It got me to thinking of the ways I measure a year.
In breakfasts: I have always found it important to eat breakfast. It gives me energy to get through a busy day. Since 2008, my breakfast of choice has been Vanilla Almond Special K. I hoard it like it's going out of style...especially when it goes on sale. Since my husband eats it too, we go through at least two boxes a week. I don't like milk in cereal, so I eat it dry with a glass of orange juice or a cup of hot tea to wash it down. The combination of the cereal with either drink is very comforting to me first thing in the morning. Occasionally I'll stray and have a pancake or muffin. And during the week of Pesach, it will be some Kosher for Passover cake or just matzah and butter. As soon as that week is over, I'm even more thrilled to have my cereal.
In Sabbaths: Since Shabbat is every week, no matter what else is going on, it's definitely an important part of my year. There are things to like about the short winter Shabbats (more time to go out afterward) AND the lingering summer Shabbats (gatherings with friends, time for naps). I love the rituals involved with Shabbat, especially on Friday night.
In blog posts: Having this blog project means at least one post a week for the entire year. And now that I'm doing 52 Stories, it has gone up to two posts a week. I also plan to write about other topics, as soon as I can see the light at the end of a super busy tunnel. With my book blog, I have posts going up every weekday throughout the year.
In workouts: I try to work out every morning during the week. I get in my extra walking (along with heavy stroller pushing uphill) on Shabbos. Up until recently, I was just using the exercise bike and occasionally did the treadmill when it was working. Then Moma Rock challenged us each to do something new and now I do more outdoor walking to change up my routine. I don't get to read on those days, but it's a good time for thinking and motivating myself.
In bedtime routines: Bedtime is a challenge with three kids, but having rituals in place for each kid helps a lot. My older son and I say to each other "I love you very much. Shluffy. Bye." Before we say "bye," we kiss each other on each cheek. My younger son does a mantra with my husband to be less afraid of monsters. Sometimes I do this with him if my husband isn't available. We also have cuddle time and silly kisses. My daughter gets a bedtime story and then we sing songs or play little games (like pretending to sleep). We do the Sh'ma with our kids too.
In laughter: Whether it's for a TV show, funny situation, Facebook post, or something my husband or kids said, I make sure I laugh at least once a day. I love to laugh and something has to be really funny in order to earn so much as a chuckle or snicker from me.
In photos: Like Mark Cohen (one of the main characters from Rent), I tend to hide behind my camera. While he takes videos, I take photos. I have file folders on my computer filled with pictures from every month of the year. In looking at them, I've watched seasons change, my children grow, and even my house take on a new look. Whenever we go out, especially to do something new and different, I always make sure to have my camera with me. That's how I document real life! (If I were to answer the question in the first line of the song "Rent." The song starts at 2:51, if you clicked on the link out of curiosity.)
In e-mails: I e-mail a bunch of people every day. Enough said. Hard to believe I once didn't have the means of communicating at the push of a button. (I had to either pick up the phone or write letters by hand.) And yet, the Internet has changed my life in so many ways....
In books: I can't be without a book. EVER! I'm sure I read at least 100 a year, but I probably lose count after a while. I love, love, love, LOVE to read!
In music: I try to listen to music at least once a day. The only time I don't is during the nine days leading up to Tisha B'Av. I just can't be without music, whether it is from the radio, CDs or Spotify. I love to sing, so even if I'm not listening to music, I'm making it!
This is all I can think of for now, although I'm sure there are many other ways I go about measuring a year. Aside from hearing about it from the blog project ladies, I'd love to hear about how you measure a year, as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out :)
http://allodoxophobia.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/liebster-award
Post a Comment