This week, Mom of Many asks: What is in your purse? Empty out your bag, did you find anything surprising? What does this say about you?
Before reading ahead, first see what everyone else had to say on this topic:
Froggie
Mom of Many
Moma Rock
The one good thing this exercise did was force me to clean out my purse. It's much lighter now! I have two bigger sections of my purse and two side pockets.
Bigger section 1:
This had the most random assortment of stuff. I would totally kick butt on Let's Make a Deal! (I used to joke that my late maternal grandma could go on that show because of all the stuff she had in her purse and now it seems like I'm turning into her.) What's that you see towards the top of the picture? Why, it's a pair of kiddie scissors! I was hiding them from my younger son when he was being careless and figured he'd never look there. I should probably take them out before I go to an airport!
And yes, I like to have a stash of Equal packets because they don't have Equal at work all the time and Sweet & Low and Splenda don't measure up! I still have the ticket from when I saw Rebbetzin Jungreis in December. I also have a manicure gift certificate that expires at the end of March. Time to treat myself during a lunch break! The rest is pretty much standard purse fare. I do have a large assortment of receipts. I just stuff them in my purse and forget about them!
Bigger section 2:
My wallet, purchased for my birthday by my sister-in-law. I love it! So many places to hoard even more random items. Seriously, it has room for everything and doesn't feel heavy either! There's also a printout of Hanukkah songs from my kids' school. And of course, more receipts!
I combined the contents since one side pocket didn't have as much as the other. I collect Box Tops for my older son's school. I used to give them to people who collect them until I found out his school was doing it too. There's the ice skating pass for when my son was taking lessons. It was used for free practice sessions and free skates. I also saved the tickets from when we saw Spring Awakening last weekend. There's even a business card from a really cool magician/mind-reader who performed at my organization's holiday party.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My purse is basically a mini-version of my house (or even my car). Random knick-knacks and other items tend to follow me wherever I go. I really do worry about becoming a hoarder. My grandma did a lot of hoarding and cleaning out her condo was a complete test of everyone's patience. I think it really scared my mom to see all that junk she had. We threw out tons of odds and ends. I almost feel like we were getting rid of her essence. Since her mind was starting to go by that time, this was all we had to really work with. I don't know if my hoarding is about spreading my personality everywhere or just complete laziness. I can part with stuff if I truly want to. I give things away all the time! I just need to find the time to make sense of what I have and this exercise definitely helped in the purse arena.
Oddly enough, the bonus question for a current Chick Lit Central giveaway asks something related to this topic. Answer the question and be entered to win a book! (US/Canada only. Ends 2/27.)
2 comments:
Haha, glad to know that I'm not the only one with a super messy purse! Mine has tons of receipts in it too, randomly stuffed in there, as well as several Hot Wheels cars, a book light, and more lip glosses and hand creams than one person needs!
That's pretty clean compared to mine. I carry way too much stuff.
Post a Comment