Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.
I met this storyteller in the mid-90s, through a chat room on IRC. Here's more about our friendship. I'm so thankful that we reconnected on Facebook after losing touch for quite a few years. She's incredibly sweet and we have so many common interests (Glee for starters...). I know I can always count on her for the latest pop culture news.
Side note: I officially have 52 stories! However, if you wanted to participate, you're still welcome to and I will post your stories in the new year.
Name you'd like to go by: Kathryn, although I get called just about every short form of this
Age: 36 (I've been told I look 10 years younger though... ah, the blessing of good genes)
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada
What is an experience that is legendary for you?
Legendary is not the word I would use; more appropriate would be life changing and unforgettable. In August 2012, my mom was diagnosed with AML (acute myeloid leukemia). For the next nearly five months, our family went through a roller coaster of emotions. Although we thought mom was going to beat the disease after her first round of treatment, unfortunately the leukemia proved to be more resilient than her and she passed away in January 2013. Throughout that time, my mom displayed such incredible strength and an unfailing desire to protect her family from pain. When you lose someone so important in your life, it's beyond difficult to understand the "why" of it. However, because of this experience, I've found myself in the position to help a very close friend with the loss of her mom from leukemia this year. I also became involved in the local Relay for Life (an all night walk and fundraising event to support the Canadian Cancer Society) and captained my own team. Being a part of an event like Relay is humbling and makes you feel a part of something so much bigger than yourself.
What is your guilty pleasure?
Oh, there are too many... I have an entire playlist on my iPod called guilty pleasures ("Mmmbop" and Joey Lawrence are among the songs). I buy US Weekly on a regular basis and I post things from Perez Hilton daily (pop culture nut). I used to watch The Hills and The City. I love Lindt chocolate. Hello Kitty and Happy Bunny. Boy bands.
What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
I definitely want to travel to Scotland and Germany/Switzerland. This covers both sides of my family. Although, I highly suspect that if I went to Scotland, I wouldn't want to come home. Men in kilts *and* those accents?? *swoon*
If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
Books and chocolate (I know this is two things but really, they go hand-in-hand). More importantly though, my love of reading and learning is something I would give to as many people as possible, because it encourages the use of imagination and expands the mind.
What is something you did that changed someone's life?
Last December I made the decision to sponsor a little girl who lives in Bolivia through World Vision. I hope that I am changing her life for the better.
What part of your personality is now extinct?
When I was younger, writing stories was a way to escape and allowed me to create a world where my life could be any way I wanted it to be. As I got older, I learned to accept that my life may not be perfect, but everything happens for a reason.
What is one thing that you find really funny?
The Big Bang Theory is such a hilarious show. I also get in weird moods sometimes where something strikes me as so funny that I laugh way too hard. My brother's knee reflex makes me laugh so much. Years ago there was this commercial for air freshener and the doll exclaimed "Eww, eww, eww!!" For some reason, I howled every time I saw it. It still makes me giggle when I think about it.
Tell me one thing you love about yourself (or a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue):
I love that I do not give up easily. Some call it stubbornness. My mom used to call it determination. I also like that I am open-minded and compassionate.
What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
Hmmm.... this is a difficult one to answer. While I can relate to characters and certain situations, there is not one show/book/movie where I have thought "This is so my life!" One of my all-time favourite characters is Benny from Circle of Friends because there is so much of me in her.
What is something that not many people know about you?
I used to want to be an author and wrote a book when I was 12/13 that started out as a short story for a creative writing assignment. Also some things that shock people to know about me:
1) I love True Blood
2) I have a "rock out" playlist that has Marilyn Manson, Ramstein and Limp Bizkit on it
3) I enjoy playing World of Warcraft
4) I take belly dance and Bollywood classes
5) I've never been drunk
6) I have a piercing in my left upper ear.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment