Wednesday, December 4, 2013

52 Stories: Seize the Day

Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.

I met this week's storyteller after she wrote a comment on one of my book reviews. I found out that she's also an author with a book being published early next year. Of course, I invited her to do an interview at my book blog. I also knew that I would enjoy getting to know more about her through 52 Stories. Of course, I now have the Newsies soundtrack playing in my head as a result.

Name you'd like to go by: Laura Kenyon
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: New York area

What is an experience that is legendary for you? 
That's a toss-up between taking a door-less helicopter ride over Kauai or Jeeping through Canyonlands in Utah. Both experiences were with my husband, both were absolutely amazing, and both came with brief moments in which I was pretty sure we were going to die.

What is your guilty pleasure? 
I was not at all into Twilight, but The Vampire Diaries is a quasi-obsession of mine. I'm not sure if there's an age limit for watching the CW, but if Ian Somerhalder is still playing Damon Salvatore in 20 years, I'll still be watching.

What is something you've never done but you would like to do? 
Backpack through Europe, though I probably missed that boat a good six years ago. When I started college in September of 2001, I had notebooks full of plans to do it the following summer... but the world changed pretty quickly around that time (or at least my sheltered perception of it did), and it just never panned out.

If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
My Newsies DVD. I was absolutely obsessed with that movie as a kid (who am I kidding? I'm still obsessed with it) and used to ask every new person I met if they'd seen it. If they loved it too, we were automatically meant to be best friends (ha). Now you can probably buy it online in two seconds, but when I first found it in stores years ago, it was monumental.

What is something you did that changed someone's life? 
I do my best to help people, and I can think of many times I've impacted people's lives, but trying to look back and judge my noblest moments just seems too boastful for me. So I'll just say marrying my husband. I think that changed his life a little bit ;)

What part of your personality is now extinct? 
The part that obsesses over what other people think, particularly regarding body image and fashion. I eat well and exercise because I want to, I couldn't care less about overpriced designers, and I'm proud to say I shop at Kohls.

What is one thing that you find really funny? 
Around Christmas, I put out this Santa Claus doll that swings his butt around and sings the song from "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." This on its own isn't particularly funny. But as my dog hears it, you'd think Santa was a home invader. Hair spiked up. Guttural growl. Booming bark. Shadow's a nearly 100-pound Labrador who can scale a cliff-face without thinking twice. But bring out Santa and it's ON!

Tell me one thing you love about yourself (or a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue): 
I hated it growing up, but I love my red hair. Yes, it turns out the adults were right.

What TV show, book or movie is most like your life? 
Ha. Well, touring around Ireland with my husband, parents, and two of my brothers this past spring in a giant van... changing a tire on the side of the road, learning to drive on the left, meeting extended family, and just creating a whole smorgasbord of hilarious memories... I'd have to say any of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies. I have a big family, and although it's crazy at times, I wouldn't want it any other way.

What is something that not many people know about you? 
When I first started college, I seriously contemplated majoring in drama because I'd sung in musicals during high school. Thank God my parents talked me out of that one!

2 comments:

laurakenyon.com said...

Thanks so much for including me in "52 Stories," Melissa. I had a blast. But now "Seize the Day" is going to be stuck in my head until tomorrow!!

susieqlaw said...

The door less helicopter adventures sounds quite daring!