Tuesday, December 24, 2013

52 Stories: Not found in the laundry...

Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.

We've reached story #52! Thanks for making this a great year of getting to know people in a new way. :) If you're an avid chick lit reader and have been following Chick Lit Central, we're going to be spotlighting readers over there next year. Contact me to get the ball rolling, if you're interested.

My final storyteller is an author who has been featured at CLC before. I didn't get to personally interview her there, so I've enjoyed the chance to get to know her this way. Her latest novel is Tales from the Laundry Pile, which was recently reviewed at CLC as well.

Name: Kathleen Kole
Age: 45
Gender: Woman
Location: British Columbia, Canada

What is an experience that is legendary for you?
While it may sound sappy (which is fine, really, as I am a self-admitted sap) I’d say motherhood. It has taken me to places within myself - good, bad, ugly, beautiful - I never would have gone had I not embarked upon this parenthood journey. I had no idea, before my son was born, how utterly enthralling it is to watch another human being find their way in the world, nor how much it would connect me emotionally to the human race. So, again, while it may sound sappy, it is the truth.

What is your guilty pleasure?
Well, second question in and I’m stumped! (Seriously, this question made my mind go blank and even inspired me to look up the Wikipedia definition.) Anyway, after much consideration, I’ve come to the conclusion I have no guilty pleasure. I know that may sound unbelievable, but I cannot come up with one thing I do, eat, read etc. that I would consider as such. Apparently, I’m all out there! Haha!

What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
I would like to do more traveling; more directly, I would like to see more of North America (a cross country driving trip sounds like a fun adventure) and do some traveling through the UK.

If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
My recipe for coconut, chocolate chip cookies. They are sweet, chewy and delectable and I have yet to find anyone who didn’t love them and want more. Perfect with a cup of coffee, or a glass of milk; a good book, movie, or chat with a friend.

*What is something you did that changed someone's life?
I helped change my brother and his family’s life when I found them a lovely home to rent when they moved here to the Okanagan. They were unable, because of work, to make the trip to look for themselves and they entrusted me to do the job for them. It was my joy to be able to find them a warm and welcoming home to come to and it brought us all closer together as a family.

What part of your personality is now extinct?
The part that allowed me to drop the ball before a goal was completed. Once upon a time, I was able to start a project and once I became bored etc. I would move on - regardless of whether or not it was complete. I got a handle on that side of myself in my early twenties and I am ever so grateful that I did. Now, when I start something I finish it. Case in point, I have four published novels under my belt and my fifth being completed for 2014.

What is one thing that you find really funny?
Little children. They are so honest and open and genuine, they crack me up.

Tell me one thing you love about yourself.
I think I’m a good mother. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve certainly had my moments of being a blundering mess, but on the whole when I look at my sixteen year old son who is confident, kind, generous and personable, I know I’ve done a good job encouraging him to be who he is and have the assurance that I always have his back.

What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
I’d say the chatty parts of so many movies. For example, You’ve Got Mail, Before Sunrise, When Harry Met Sally, Serendipity, Music and Lyrics. Those movies, and so many more of their ilk, are so much like my life in their chatter; my husband and son are both communicators by nature, so I am blessed to be surrounded by lots of conversations and laughter.

What is something that not many people know about you?
I do not like high heels. Not only are they wickedly uncomfortable, but I do not happen to think they are attractive. I will always choose a cute, or funky, flat shoe (possibly with a VERY slight wedge heel) every time.

No comments: