Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hoarde fest

I inherited a trait from my late maternal grandmother….being a pack rat. When she moved out of her condo into assisted living in 2000, we spent days cleaning out the place to make it livable for me. She had so many chotchkies, little papers with notes on them, things she had put aside “for good”, etc. I hoped I would never become this way.
However, I was trying to put aside some baby clothes for a family in need and had a hard time parting with a lot of the items. I plan to eventually have one more kid (nothing in the works yet, I promise!) and I’m guessing it will be another boy, so I want to hold on to the stuff until then. I also like being able to loan clothes to friends who have new babies. I just worry that after I’m done with them a third time, will I want to keep them in case my sister one day has kids? Would she even want the clothes? I was also looking through books to see if there were any I wanted to give away. I have all these books in boxes in case I might someday want to read them. Why wouldn’t they be on my shelf, if that were the case? I should remind myself that I can get them from the library if I really want to read them. Third thing is my own clothes. I have things I never wear and I can’t seem to give up. I keep thinking I’ll need to wear them someday. Finally, I am so disorganized with papers that I receive. I try to put them in easily accessible places, but they still get out of hand. I keep thinking I’ll need to refer to them at some point or another. I don’t know why it’s easier to pick and choose what to keep from my kids’ artwork than it is to pick and choose from my own stuff. You’d think that would have the most sentimental value.

No comments: