Monday, January 4, 2010

Let's make a resolution

I haven’t made any new year’s resolutions in a while. I know I’m not going to keep them, so it’s not even worth the attempt. I tried 2 years ago with the simple resolution of flossing my teeth every night. I even had a reminder post-it note in the bathroom (with Dwight Schrute on it, no less). I was really good at keeping up with it, and then I had a baby. I still floss my teeth, but not as regularly as I should.
I could resolve to diet, exercise more, be better organized, stay in touch with friends more often (not like I don’t already, thanks to Facebook), give up bad habits, etc. I just don’t want to make promises I can’t keep.
I have decided to take some friends up on a challenge this year. I am going to learn how to knit. I don’t think it will become a major hobby, but I want to say I at least tried. I figure it’s something that could keep me busy during the boring parts of “American Idol.” I have a friend who owns a yarn store in town and told me a while ago that she could teach me how to knit. I’m going to take her up on that and see what happens. I’m only sticking to one item and that’s it. Another friend told me that she is learning and that it’s taking her forever just to start on a scarf.
Other things I’d like to be able to do this year: volunteer (and potentially teach my kids about mitzvot in the process), go on more dates with my husband, develop all the pictures of my sons and put them in albums, iron all the wrinkled clothes in the utility room closet, read all the books on my shelf before purchasing more (that’s a laugh!), sign my kids up for some type of lesson or sport, get a manicure and pedicure, catch up on “Cold Case” from the last season and this season (a girl can dream) and learn how to cook a brisket. I’ll have to see how many of those things I actually accomplish this year.

No comments: