Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Musicology

Last night, I organized my closet to the “Clueless” soundtrack and then got some sewing done to Nirvana’s “Nevermind” album (if we can even call them “albums” anymore…in this case it was a cassette). It got me thinking about how varied my music tastes are. “Nevermind” always makes me think of the summer between sophomore and junior year of high school. I brought it with me to England and listened to it almost every day. The “Clueless” soundtrack reminds me of the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college, when I saw “Clueless” and fell in love with it. Both “albums” are timeless and I could listen to them over and over.

Lately, my music of choice is Adam Lambert’s CD in the morning and the Top 5 at 5 on WINC FM in the evening (to stay up to date with pop music or the latest rock songs). I can’t get enough of either, even though WINC plays some annoying songs sometimes.

I am into country music and was over the moon about once again living in an area that has a good country station.
There were no country stations in NJ or NY. I got into country music during senior year of college, when I was working with a woman who enjoyed listening to it. After that, I was buying country CDs (mainly Shania Twain, Faith Hill and Dixie Chicks) and listening to the country station on the radio. For a while, I slipped away from country music for my love of the 80’s station and then for dance club hits. Later, I got back into it by finding a good station online to listen to quietly at work. By then, there were some new singers and groups that I started to like, such as Rascal Flatts and Brad Paisley. I also started paying more attention to Sara Evans and Martina McBride. I like almost anything by Leann Rimes and Carrie Underwood, as well these days.

Another musical interest of mine is from the Rat Pack era. I love anything by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. They sing a lot of Gershwin and Cole Porter tunes. Lately, the songs have been covered by Robbie Williams, Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr., Peter Cincotti, Jamie Cullum, etc. So I enjoy listening to them too.

Finally, I love Broadway showtunes. I could listen to a whole Broadway original cast recording over and over. I slip into phases based on the musicals I’m interested in. I can always go for “Rent,” “Les Miz,” or “Miss Saigon” though. Lately, my Broadway passion has been over “In the Heights.” I sing the songs around the house all the time. Before that, it was “Legally Blonde” and “Spring Awakening.”

Some of my music tastes have changed a lot over time, but others have remained constant. I am always interested in 80’s and 90’s music whenever it comes on. It’s fun and makes me feel all nostalgic. Even songs from the early half of the 00’s do that for me now. I’m not into rap or death metal at all. I went through a classical phase in college, but have aversions to it now. I think the only time I don’t mind it is when I’m browsing around Barnes and Noble (if that’s what they even play anymore). I’m usually open to listening to new artists, but it depends on my mood and how much they are able to impress me. One such example is Ingrid Michaelson. I heard “Maybe” on the Top 5 at 5 and was instantly drawn to her voice. I also learned about Orianthi that way. My friends sometimes send me song or album suggestions on Lala.com. I’m sure if the new season of “American Idol” has some good contenders, they could draw me into their music too. Speaking of which, I heard Danny Gokey’s new song and was not impressed. It’s a good song, but more for Taylor Swift. Danny can really work with his voice and belt out tunes. This song inhibits him from doing so and doesn’t bring out his true talent. I’ve also listened to Brooke White’s album and it’s nice for some light background music. I like David Cook and Daughtry’s albums a lot though.

What are your all time favorite music styles or songs?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

My favorites are 80's & 90's, although, I can probably think of at least one song from every genre that I like.
I love that my ipod is so random.