Thursday, January 14, 2010

Movie Mania

I had images from three movies in my head on my drive to work this morning. All three movies were from the late 80’s/early 90’s and all three had surreal stories:

"Big": What I liked about this movie was its originality and humor. How Tom Hanks played an adult with the mind of a 12 year-old boy and how it affected his interactions. The famous FAO Schwarz scene. Yelling “I get to be on top” when he invites his female coworker to sleep over. And who could forget him eating baby corn like it was corn on the cob? It’s such a classic movie and fun to watch both as an adult and as a kid.

"Groundhog Day": I totally love this movie! I think it came to mind because the guy who plays Sandy on “Glee” was none other than Ned “watch out for that last step, it’s a dooooozy” Ryerson. And maybe I thought of it because the holiday is coming up soon. I love how he learned about the people around him and used his time warp situation to help them. The whole story is so funny and makes one think about what they’d do if they had to live one day of their life over and over until they got it right.

"Defending Your Life": Cute Albert Brooks flick that makes me think about all the situations in my life that I’d probably have to defend if I were in his shoes. I like the way purgatory seemed like a whole city of its own (almost like Monstropolis, if you think about it). The “past lives pavilion” was very clever. It was a sweet and romantic story over all and I get all teary-eyed when I watch it. Meryl Streep plays a great role too.

I know there are a lot of other surreal movies that have been made since then. I thought "13 Going on 30" would be a female version of “Big”, but it was more of a time travel story. Still fun to watch and you can’t forget the “Thriller” scene. I also liked "Click." It was funny, clever and made me think. Also sad at times. I’m sure I’m missing a bunch between the early 90’s and now. Does anyone want to share their own favorite surreal movies?

No comments: