Sunday, January 10, 2010
Knitwit
I went to my friend's yarn store today and learned how to knit. It was an interesting experience. Her store is really nice, except it's meant for people with lots of knitting background and experience. I had to admit that I was a knitting "virgin." I bought inexpensive yarn and needles (until I get good enough for this to become a hobby, that's all I can really afford to get). Then my friend and some of the ladies working at her store showed me how to knit. I thought I had the hang of it. Then it all unraveled at home. So my husband sent me an online video on the basics of knitting. From that, I learned how to cast and start my first row. I was able to get through that much before one of my needles BROKE! I am not giving up though! I reminded myself of how I learned to ride a bike when I was 12 years old (yes, it took me that long not to be afraid of falling) and my determination not to give up till I got it right. I know I can do this. I just need someone who is patient enough with me to get me to a good spot where I can really take off. I don't know that I'll take it on as a future hobby, but I want to at least make one thing. I'm going for a scarf for my older son. It probably won't be ready until next winter at the rate I'm going, but that's okay! It's funny how I feel so out of my element in the knitting realm. It almost seems like discovering a new religion that everyone else gets except for me. There's a huge learning curve. Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment