Wednesday, January 6, 2010

If you can't be as good as John Hughes, don't even bother

Last night, we watched “I Love You, Beth Cooper.” We were looking for a light comedy and that’s what we chose. However, it was not all that funny. I maybe laughed out loud twice. I was more amused that Alan “Cameron Frye” Ruck played the kid’s dad. Anyway, the whole premise of the movie was awkward and the main kid was probably the worst actor ever (or the best if he’s good enough to convince me that someone could be THAT much of a dork). It made me think of “Welcome to the Dollhouse” and how I squirmed while sympathizing with the main character at the same time. However, I didn’t sympathize with the main character at all this time. I just squirmed! I liked his friend (who was supposedly gay). His knowledge of movie quotes was great and he was funnier than the movie itself. The kid who played his friend as a kid was even funnier. Anyway, I do NOT recommend this movie. I don’t know if it was on the Rotten Tomatoes 100 Worst Movies (of the last decade) List, but it should be! “Miss March” was on that list and even that movie was funnier than this one. I really hope other teen movies don’t go downhill like this one did. I think I only kept watching it in hopes that it would get better somehow. (Now I understand why my husband made us stay for the second half of “Uncle Broadway” even though the first half was awful!)

1 comment:

Dauphyfan said...

I hear ya! Some movies are so bad they are good (i.e "Showgirls"), but some movies are just plain bad (i.e. "Major Payne").

BTW, didn't even realize you were in the blogosphere! We keep becoming cyberspace neighbors without even realizing it. My blog is at dauphyfan.blogspot.com. Take care!