*Recently, I was on a friend’s Facebook page and saw a comment made by her sister-in-law that used a nickname her brothers gave her. The nickname does not sound like how it is spelled, but it’s an inside joke between them.
*The other day, I took my sons to play skee-ball and they teamed up to get the balls in the holes. My younger son would start it off and then my older son would take the ball and throw it the rest of the way. They had so much fun together.
*I’m almost finished reading “Between Sisters” by Kristin Hannah and totally love the relationship between the two main characters.
These three things (amongst others) had me thinking about my relationship with my sister. I am fortunate that she and I are only 3 years apart and grew up as playmates and best friends. Sure, we drove each other crazy and had our share of fights. However, we also would have crazy inside jokes and spend hours in the basement playing Barbies and Cabbage Patch Kids. We’ve grown up with similar tastes in movies, music, books and theater. We’ve even shared our friends. We were in Indian Princesses together and went on campouts with our dad. I’d mostly hang out with her at these campouts. We went to overnight camp together one summer and day camp together for countless summers. Senior year of HS, we were on speech team together (she was a freshman). I had 8th hour free during first semester, but I helped with a class in order to fill the time so that I could drive my sister home at the end of the day (I even met a friend-who is now close with both of us-through that class). In the mornings, we’d listen to our favorite radio station and laugh about it together. We shared a babysitting job and later she and I worked at the same restaurant (we were only there together for a short time though). While she and I did a lot of the same things, I never felt like she was shadowing me. She had her own life and interests too. Now we’re both adults and while we have different lifestyles, we still have similar interests and we talk all the time. She’s an awesome aunt to my boys, who totally adore her. I only hope for good things to happen in her life and I hope I can help her celebrate them in some way or another. She’s an amazing sister and I am very fortunate to have grown up with and always stayed close with her. (I’m not just saying all this because she’s reading my blog, I really do feel this way.) I only hope my boys feel this way about each other 30 years from now. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My sister and I are twenty-two months apart. We have quite similar tastes yet are individuals. When my sister went away to college, her absence at home made me realize how close we had become. Ultimately, I ended up going to the same college and graduate school as my sister. I love to know that although she is busy with work and family, she is still a huge part of my heart and will always understand me so well. As a younger sister, I have always admired her.
Post a Comment