Thursday, January 7, 2010

The "Ugly" Truth

I was watching "Ugly Betty" tonight and it was about Betty feeling like her boyfriend was smothering her because they spent all their time together and he was sending her flowers and cards with his voice in them when she wasn't there with him. So she decided to get his art in a show in order to inspire him to rekindle a lost interest. However, that backfired for both of them. The good news is that her boyfriend realized that he did need to find other interests aside from just Betty.
I totally agreed with the premise of this episode...it is so important that two individuals in a relationship still be able (and allowed) to pursue their own interests or engage in their own hobbies. There is nothing wrong with having some separate interests. I am a book-aholic and my husband is a video game addict. That's something that helps us unwind and also keeps us connected because it is healthy to have separate interests. A few weeks ago, I went to see a play that I used to be addicted to. He got to watch "Star Trek" (the recent one that came out) with another guy friend. When I got home, we had a lot to talk about and were happy that I didn't drag him to do something he didn't want and that I didn't have to see a movie I had no interest in. We do have things that we love doing together such as observing Shabbos, bowling, watching movies (we're both interested in seeing), playing board games, eating cheese fries (from our new favorite pizza establishment), going mini-golfing and, of course, being with our kids. I feel that since we moved out here, we've been able to explore our own interests even more and still have fun together. It helps us feel even more connected at the end of every day and week.

1 comment:

Sara said...

This was perfectly written! And so true. It's okay to still remain as individuals, and have individual interests! As long as you find common ground and can respect one another's interests, that's where it's at. Great post!