Wednesday, August 7, 2013

52 Stories: Enjoy the humor of the situation

Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.

I met this storyteller through his partner, who is an author my book blog features on a monthly basis. I primarily worked with him to get the monthly columns put together and enjoyed also getting to know him in the meantime. I figured that it was his turn in the spotlight and I learned a lot of interesting new things about him. Stuff I never would have expected. His ability to see humor in everything reminds me of a Barenaked Ladies' song that I referenced in the subject line.

Name you'd like to go by: Gary Edwards
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Location: Saugatuck,MI

What is an experience that is legendary for you? 
Legendary I am not sure of. I think the thing I am most proud of is the fact that I have been sober for 18 years. I feel it is something of pride and I always like to help others. I never hide the fact that I am an alcoholic and I think it shows strength and courage. I have learned to be comfortable in my own skin and to be able to shine and add humor to each day. We are all insecure about something and learning to live with that. Being confident and focus on helping others gets me out of my head and allows me to be true to myself.

What is your guilty pleasure? 
Sweets!! Ice Cream, Cookies, Caramel Corn and yes, pie!

What is something you've never done but you would like to do? 
I would love to go to Bora Bora and stay at one of the huts that are on the water. I would also love to go to Brazil. For adventure I would love to zip line! I also for some reason think it would be great for Wade and I to have a reality show. I think the reality shows are so negative and I would love to be able to be on one and make people laugh!

If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why? 
I would give the gift of laughter. At the end of the day things mean nothing, and happiness means everything.

What is something you did that changed someone's life? 
Helped friends stop drinking and smoking

What part of your personality is now extinct? 
Being negative

What is one thing that you find really funny? 
I really always try to find humor in everything, because that is funny! I kinda make up weird scenarios all day.

Tell me one thing you love about yourself (or a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue): 
I like that each year I become a little more comfortable with me , my inner self.

What TV show, book or movie is most like your life? 
Modern Family for TV and well books all of my partner, Wade Rouse's books, because I am in them.

What is something that not many people know about you? 
I am tough and I cut a tree down with a chain saw. When I garden I get dirty, real dirty. I can fix just about anything. Most people think I have people do things for me, but I love to cut cost and am a do-it yourself kinda guy.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Gary forgot to mention that he is a source of strength for parents of gay teens. Our family will be forever grateful for the caring advice he gave in a tough situation. He needs his own "Dear Gary" column :)