Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.
I met this storyteller through one of my son's schools, as our sons have the same first name. Since then, I've gotten to know her and we've become good friends. She's really kind, generous, funny, and a great person to have in your corner. I'm thankful for her friendship. I've gotten to know her even better through this project and a lot of what she has said surprised me!
Name you'd like to go by: Dana
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Location: Washington, DC Metro region
What is an experience that is legendary for you?
Chatting with Billy Joel on more than one occasion, then having the opportunity to work with him. I grew up in a household with die-hard Billy Joel fans, so I was learning the “Turnstile” soundtrack along with “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.”
What is your guilty pleasure?
Entertainment magazines and pop culture aficionado: While I love my business focused mags like Fast Company, Inc., and Fortune Small Business – the ones that I devour are People, Entertainment Weekly, and US Weekly. I mean come on ---- Who doesn’t also love “Stars – They’re Just Like Us” and “Who Wore it Best?”
I’m also a HUGE fan of indie music. I go to shows, concerts, and festivals to hear random, new cutting room floor tunes. I like to learn about the music before it goes mainstream.
What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
I’d love to do a Ted Talk on the importance of accessibility and breaking down barriers surrounding disability. Although, I’d like to live in a foreign country where I don’t speak the language and force myself to learn it.
If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
I would give someone a special backpack filled with 1.) a map, 2.) a passport (if needed), and 3.) time. The adventure of getting out and seeing the world all over is a priceless gift given to me and I’d like to share that. That or some really delicious New York pizza.
What is something you did that changed someone's life?
When I was 16, I worked in a local pharmacy. I sold a $5 Million dollar lottery ticket to a woman who was in from out of town caring for her ill elderly mother. She came in to claim it and FLIPPED out when she learned she just became a millionaire. It was thrilling and I had a perma-smile on my face for days.
What part of your personality is now extinct?
The published poet side of me has been kind of dormant for around 15 years. I wrote a massive amount of poetry for around a decade, but then haven’t really come back to it much.
What is one thing that you find really funny?
My children keep me entertained all the time and do the silliest things. I think our random Victrola dance parties are really funny.
When work gets really intense at times, I also really enjoy George Takei memes for a quick laugh during the work day.
Tell me one thing you love about yourself (or a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue):
I’m comfortable in my own skin and that’s a gift I’ll keep.
What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
Don’t know.
What is something that not many people know about you?
1. I am an adrenaline junkie and have been skydiving, scuba diving, ridden motorcycles, flown a plane, and more. I can' wait to go hang gliding one day.
2. I kick-butt at Mah-Jongg. Bring it!
3. I LOVE old school Mortal Kombat.
4. I consider myself one of the luckiest people on the planet, as my family and friends are the most precious things in my life.
5. I ride a motorcycle and would love to get a Dukati one day.
6. I have had to recite Lewis Carrol's "The Jabberwocky" from Alice in Wonderland on more than one occasion to bail me out of stuff.
7. Spring is my favorite season. Although as a child, I was enamored with summer as it meant sleep away camp which I adored.
8. My favorite city in the world is Austin, Texas. Then probably Barcelona, Spain.
9. I am hopelessly addicted to indie-rock, cutting edge, alternative, music.
10. I have several friends that I have been friends with for over 30 years.
11. Languages are amazing. I wish I had the time to learn more and practice speaking them with native speakers.
12. I can't cook very well (and should reevaluate adding the words "very well" in that sentence). I do love to eat different cuisines and try new things.
13. My husband is an AMAZING cook and one of the all-around most talented people on the planet. I am so fortunate to have him as my life partner.
14. I use to train my parrots and parakeets to do silly pet tricks worthy of a spot on the David Letterman segment.
Thursday, September 12, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment