Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Broadway casting...Encore!

I had so much fun casting Broadway musicals last time, I decided to do it again!

South Pacific
Nellie: Kate Hudson
Bloody Mary: Uzo Aduba
We all know that Kate Hudson can sing and she has the right look for Nellie.
After watching Orange is the New Black and being blown away by "Crazy Eyes'" amazing voice, I found out that she's a stage actress. I'm sure she could sing too and I can just imagine her singing "Bali Hai."

Cabaret
Sally: Jessica Lowndes
Emcee: Sacha Baron Cohen
I'm not much of a Cabaret fan, but I felt both these choices were perfect. Jessica needs a new "vehicle" for her voice now that 90210 is over and she has the seductress thing going for her. Sacha Baron Cohen is really the best choice for emcee. Can you not picture him singing "Wilkommen?" Yeah, now that's going to be in your head too.

Chicago (with Glee cast)
Roxie: Dianna Agron
Velma: Naya Rivera
Amos: Chord Overstreet or Blake Jenner
Mama: Amber Riley
Billy: Darren Criss
While listening to the soundtrack last week, I just kept picturing it with Glee actors and not even all the conventional ones (i.e. Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, Matthew Morrison.) Part of me thought Jane Lynch would be good as Mama, but I really think Amber Riley (Mercedes) can pull off that role. The rest really don't need any explanation whatsoever!

Grease (with Pitch Perfect cast)
Danny: Skylar Astin
Sandy: Brittany Snow
Frenchy: Rebel Wilson
Patty Simcox: Anna Camp
Rizzo: Anna Kendrick
Teen Angel: Adam DeVine
Keniecke: Ben Platt
For some reason, I got this idea in my head to put the cast of Pitch Perfect into Grease roles and it just seemed to work for some reason. I especially love my choice of Rebel Wilson for Frenchie.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Joseph: Adam Lambert
Narrator: Katy Perry
Potiphar: Eric Stonestreet
Pharoah: John Stamos
I like the idea of having rock stars in the two lead roles. I also think both could play the parts well. The narrator has to be very energetic and expressive and Katy is both. Plus, she has a great voice. And since Pharoah is supposed to be like Elvis and John Stamos was always doing Elvis impersonations as Uncle Jesse, that just makes sense.
I recently found out that Elton John is making an animated version of this musical.

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Rosemary: Cristin Milioti
J. Pierrepont Finch: Ed Helms
Smitty: Emma Stone
Bud Frump: Andrew Rannells or Jim Parsons
Mrs. Jones: Ana Gasteyer or Megan Mullally
Hedy La Rue: Mara Davi
I knew Cristin Milioti could sing because she was in Once on Broadway. She proved her singing talent on How I Met Your Mother recently and her personality reminds me of the way Michele Lee played the role a long time ago.
Ed Helms has that innocent appeal that would work well as Finch. He's a great comic actor, as well.
I was undecided on Bud because Andrew Rannells brings a certain smarminess to the role and Jim Parsons could just play it as really annoying.
Same for Mrs. Jones, as both women could really do justice to the part. Besides, Megan Mullally played Rosemary on Broadway so this could have her coming full circle.

Fiddler on the Roof
Tevye: Mandy Patinkin
Golde: Bette Midler
Tzeitel: Lea Michele
Hodel: Anna Kendrick
Motel: Zac Efron (or maybe one of the Jonas brothers?)
Mandy Patinkin is the ultimate Tevye. I would love to hear him sing "If I Were a Rich Man." He would totally own that song. I think the rest of the choices are self-explanatory.

Little Shop of Horrors
Seymour: Kevin McHale
Audrey: Christina Aguilera
Audrey II (voice): CeeLo Green
Dentist: John Stamos
I could see Kevin McHale playing Seymour the way Rick Moranis did. He has a great voice too.
With Christina and CeeLo as the Audreys, it could be a "Voice" reunion! Really though, I just picture both of them in those roles.
John Stamos would look great in leather and he played a dentist on Glee, so it's not a far stretch.
I am not sure who would play Crystal, Chiffon and Ronnette. I think having newcomers would work well. After all, Tisha Campbell was unknown to everyone when she was in the movie and she became famous later on.

Any suggestions for my next set of musicals to cast? Just learned that I may need to stop casting Anna Kendrick in musicals soon....

1 comment:

Sara said...

Rebel Wilson as Frenchy? Perfect!!!