This week, Froggie chose the topic: "The grass is always greener on the other side."
First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
When Froggie gave us this topic, the first thing that came to mind was my sister, so I'm going to talk about her for purposes of explaining this quote.
While my sister and I are alike in some ways, such as sharing common interests in movies, books, Broadway shows, etc., we're also the opposite in other ways. Sometimes I think we'd make a great chick lit novel about sisters with completely different lives. Kind of like Your Perfect Life or In Her Shoes. I am not implying that I don't want what I already have, but I do want to point out that my sister has it really good. Here are some reasons:
*She looks good in all her clothes and she's always getting the latest fashions. She's not afraid to shop retail. It's like the traveling pants phenomenon...whatever she looks at somehow fits her perfectly.
![]() |
| These are not her actual shoes. I'm just illustrating a point. |
*While on the topic of work, she has a well-established career and her job even comes with some travel perks. I think she even won a vacation from her company a while back.
*And speaking of travel, she can pick up and go wherever she wants, whenever she wants. At least it seems that way. Since she can take her work with her, she gets to visit her friends who live far away and also finds the time to go on cruises and European adventures.
*She has a lot of friends. I have a lot of friends too, but I feel like the kinds of friendships we have are different. I'm close with very few people from my youth. She has friends she's been close with since elementary school. She's also been the bridesmaid or maid of honor for a lot of her friends' weddings. I've only stood up in one wedding as a bridesmaid.
*She's honorary aunt to a lot of her friends' kids and they all (the kids) seem to adore her.
*She's neat and organized. Her condo never looks like she can't get her act together.
*She's closer with more people in our family (such as most of our cousins).
*She gets new cars whenever she feels like it (or so it seems).
*She's always photogenic and doesn't seem to take a bad picture. Almost like Barney on How I Met Your Mother.
*She's able to make friends wherever she goes. One of her best friends is someone we met on a cruise in the beginning of 2000. I barely am in contact with any of the friends I met on cruises. (I see some on Facebook, but that's about it.)
All I know is that if I did a Freaky Friday switch with my sister, I would totally go on an amazing vacation with "Will" (since she's also close friends with him) and live it up as only she knows how. (Hawaii, here I come!) I would just hope that she could get my house in better shape and negotiate on getting a somewhat newer car.
I don't really know what she's thinking or feeling in terms of finding her soulmate, getting married, and having kids. I know she'd be a great wife to the guy who's lucky enough to deserve her commitment and loyalty, and an amazing mother, since she's already so good with kids. I do hope she finds the kind of relationship like I have with my husband, but I don't feel the need to pressure her into marriage and motherhood. I'm glad she's not settling for anything less than an amazing relationship. Until then, it seems like she has a great life and I'm really happy for her. I was looking at some of her Facebook photos and she's smiling in all of them and looking like she's having the time of her life.
![]() |
| Together at Disney World in 2013 |


5 comments:
I don't even know your sister. But from what I just read, I already envy her life.
My sister is 15 years younger than me. She has "teas" where she has perfectly matched everything as in real stuff, and bakes her own scones. Makes her own clotted cream. Has like real lemons and stuff. She serves them wearing something awesomely and seemingly casual with a vibrant scarf knotted perfectly in some new-fangled way around her neck. And BOOM she's blonde. :)
It sounds like you have a wonderful sister!
Did you ever see that movie Wish Upon A Star where the girl wished to be her beautiful older sister and she woke up in her body?? It's an oldie but goodie (Netflix!!). This made me think of it!!
The good pictures like Barney made me lol!!
She sounds fantastic. I'm an only child. I always wished for a sister.
Post a Comment