Thursday, June 2, 2016

The minority in the house

Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about two years, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

This week, Moma Rock chose the topic: What were you taught to believe, that you don't believe anymore? Or, the flip side: What had you never believed to be true, and now you do?

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.

Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

I think this week's topic is payback for last week's topic being so easy. I really couldn't think of anything in relation to the questions. I switched the "flip side" question around a bit to suit this post though, by saying "What had you believed to be true, and now you don't?" So here goes...

When I was growing up, and even as an adult, I believed that I would only be a mother to girls. Since my house was on a 3:1 Woman (girl): Man ratio, I thought it meant that I would only be capable of giving birth to girls. I couldn't even fathom raising a boy! Even at Sunday School, when we did a pretend wedding, I was annoyed that they made me be the mother of the groom, since I had no need for such a role in the future. I even had the name for my first daughter picked out...Arianna.

Then my turn at motherhood came around and with it came a boy. The strange thing is, I had a feeling that I would have a boy after I first became pregnant. I was in denial because I thought there was still no way that could happen. "Baby Girl" by Sugarland was playing on the country station I always listened to, so I even took that as a sign. Even so, when my first son was born, I was not surprised he was a boy. And it didn't matter at that point because it was love at first sight.



A couple of years later, I was due with my second child and this time I was convinced I was having a girl. I wanted another boy though. I loved the idea of my son having a brother and I also wanted to use the name I loved so much. Lo and behold, I was definitely surprised by a boy. Thrilled too!



Raising boys is easier than I expected. (Although I did have a preview because of the two boys I babysat on a regular basis when I was a teenager.) They are definitely full of energy and would do things I could never imagine doing as a kid, or as an adult. They're curious, inquisitive, thoughtful, and loving. I get the sweetest hugs and kisses from my sons. (Not to say I don't get them from my daughter.) They're also funny and entertaining. They love to make up songs and do celebrity impressions. We talk about movies, TV shows, books, games, current events, etc. They aspire to be artists, chefs, scientists, gardeners, actors, musicians, etc. They read (almost) as much as I do. (Given that my husband barely ever reads, it's nice to see boys taking an interest in books.)



On the third go-around, I finally had a girl. By that time, I was expecting a boy and had saved all the clothes from my sons. My older son wished for a girl so that I wouldn't be the only girl in the house. He even said he had too many brothers. (I guess my younger son is several brothers rolled up into one.) I told him that if I had another boy, I could keep all my jewelry and cosmetics to myself. My daughter holds her own with her brothers and bosses them around as much as they boss her around. It's definitely a new world of interesting challenges raising a girl. And here I thought they'd be the easier gender...






5 comments:

Janine said...

You have gorgeous kids. I had a laugh about the part when your oldest son said he already had too many brothers.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

I used to think I'd be better with boys than girls because I had a bunch of small nephews that I loved. Then my first was a girl! I do have two boys though and it's been great with all of them.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Haha, yes, I thought having a girl would be easier, but nope.

Samantha said...

Your kids are so cute!

Sara said...

Like you, I thought for sure I'd have girls. Mostly everyone in my family starts out with girls, having 1-2 or more, before having that first boy. And, like you, during my first pregnancy, I had a feeling I was having a boy. But, my 2nd pregnancy threw me for a loop. I thought for sure my baby would be a girl! Funnily, my sister also had a boy her first go around, a surprise to her. Great post!