Thursday, October 13, 2016

My first attempt at poetry in 22 years...

Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about three years, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

We will be posting bi-weekly as life keeps getting in the way.

This week, Moma Rock chose the topic: Write a poem. It can be prose, haiku, sonnet. Whatever you desire, and whatever you'd like it to be about.

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

Since we're just coming off of Yom Kippur, which is the holiday of confessing our sins, I have another confession to make....my mind has a tendency to wander off during any religious service. This has happened ever since I was a kid. I try to focus on the prayer at hand, but then my mind will pick up on something and go on its own path. So I'm going a bit freestyle to talk about some of the things that pop into my head while I'm sitting (or standing) in Shul.

Side note: I have not written a poem since senior year of high school. So please bear with me!

Head (in) space

Why is the air conditioner only set to "Arctic" during the High Holy Days?
I mean, seriously. I'm frrrrrreeeeeeeeezing.
Even my sweater and jacket aren't helping.
Mental note: bring gloves next year.
And a scarf!

What does the Hebrew on top of the ark say?
How many pages left until the service is over?
Why do I always get seated where there isn't a place to rest my Siddur?
Mumbling while reading Hebrew aloud is not really helping anyone.
What page are we even on? (See the above sentence.)

Are we going to survive through Election Day?
How am I going to catch up on my shows
when more are coming back next week?
What do I need to get done at work?
What is going to happen next in my book?
What happened in a book I read three months ago?

Since half the Siddur is in Hebrew
and half in English,
we're only reading half the pages,
so divide the amount left by two.
Much more manageable.
We just skipped a bunch of pages.
Now there are even less to divide.

Other people's problems
that I somehow need to worry about
right now.

When everyone is kneeling
low to the ground
at the same time
it looks like simultaneous heart attacks.

When will they close the ark so I can sit again?
They closed it. Why are people still standing?
Are they actually going to collect the donation cards?

Hamilton.
Hamilton.
Hamilton. 
HamiltonHamiltonHamiltonHamilton...

The speech was about putting yourself first.
Now I have "Put Yourself First"
from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
in my head.

I had weird dreams last night
and now seems like the perfect time
to analyze them.
Why did I even have those dreams?!?

Everyone else here has
better clothes
and hats
and shoes
than me.

That's a really cute baby.
Glad my kids aren't babies anymore.
Glad I can look at a baby and not want another.
What will my kids be like as teenagers?

Come on...concentrate
concentrate...
concentrate...
This part is important!
*Mind goes off again.*
Wait up!

Is it me or does anyone else's mind wander in Shul?
What is my husband thinking?
The people next to,
in front of,
behind
me?
I can't be the only one having these random thoughts.
Can I?

Only a few pages left.
I can do this.
Get back here, mind!

Time to get the kids.


3 comments:

Denise K. said...

Yes! This is the kind of poetry I enjoy! Funny AND no rhyming! Love it! The heart attack part made me crack up.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

My mind totally wanders. Totally. And same thoughts on some of these too! Like it's either way too hot or way too cold in the shul. Ugh. And when everyone was kneeling, I looked up and there was no one in the women's section! I actually thought to myself hey, where'd everyone go! lol.

Sara said...

Good imagery! I loved the heart attack reference, that was a great image. I felt like I was right in your head, with thoughts coming at me from all directions.