Thursday, March 16, 2017
Thoughts on This is Us--including spoilers
If you know me, you probably know how I spent my Tuesday evenings during the past six months. If you don't, I was watching a show targeted towards fans of Parenthood...about four people who share a birthday. However, there's much more to it than that!
If you haven't seen This is Us yet, all the episodes are now available on NBC.com and on the NBC app. If you've heard that you'll cry and you don't want to cry, all I can say is that you're missing out on a great series. What happens in the series premiere will blow your mind and leave you reeling! And they're just getting started!
Check out the trailer (it doesn't spoil the most important part):
Side note: Watching the trailer again made me all emotional.
Now is the part where I include SPOILERS, so bookmark this post and come back when you've binge-watched all 19 episodes (get a box of tissues...or four).
I'm going to share some of my favorite episodes and my thoughts on each of the characters.
Favorite episodes:
1. Series Premiere (Episode 1): Obviously! This is the one that started it all and has the ultimate twist!
2. The Pool (Episode 4): Mainly because I love what Jack did for teen Kate. I also love Toby's speech to Kate, as well.
3. Pilgrim Rick (Episode 8): I love the Thanksgiving flashbacks and there is so much revealed in the present.
4. Last Christmas (Episode 10): Nothing bad happens on Christmas Eve, right?!? Well, one bad thing did and that put me in a tailspin for a month! Also, I loved the Hanukkah part.
5. Three Sentences. (Episode 13): Princess Bride birthday party! I hope one of my kids will want that someday. I'd actually plan a party if that were the case! Some great emotional moments in this episode and a surprise from Kevin.
6. Jack Pearson's Son. (Episode 15): It's those final moments of the episode that just leave you torn, but also a little more in love with Kevin. And the speech from Miguel was amazing too.
7. What Now? (Episode 17): So many emotional moments in this episode. And we learn an interesting new truth from Kate.
Thoughts on the main characters:
Jack (Milo Ventimiglia): He seems like the perfect father who always knows the right thing to say or do. However, I sometimes worry about him as a husband. I mean, he can be really sweet and romantic, but he also acts impulsively and has a mean side.
Rebecca (Mandy Moore): I think she is still growing on me. I have a hard time associating her as a mother. It seems like she's just playing a role that was chosen for her. Hopefully I can warm to her more in the next season.
Kate (Chrissy Metz): She really makes the show what it is. Kate is so genuine and goes through a huge range of emotions throughout the season. I've loved seeing her character grow and change, ebbing and flowing with the rest of the story. I think she usually makes me cry the most.
Kevin (Justin Hartley): At first I thought he was this ladie's man or a diva actor, but there is so much more to him. I really love what he did for Randall, even though I hated what he did to Sloane as a result. I also love how he is in his current relationship. And yes, he is hot!
Randall (Sterling K. Brown): I feel like I can relate to Randall a lot. I didn't know what to make of him at first either, as he seemed kind of uptight. However, he's really kindhearted and works so hard to provide for his family. He also has a lot of integrity. And it's nice to see his playful side come out from time to time.
Top 5 favorite supporting characters:
1. Toby (Chris Sullivan). I just love him. He's so good to Kate and definitely romantic.
2. William (Ron Cephas Jones). And not just because the actor is the father of an actress from Hamilton. He's really trying to be a good father to Randall to make up for lost time. I love his words of wisdom. He's had a rough life, but he's remained a good person.
3. Beth (Susan Kelechi Watson). What's not to love about Randall's wife? She has a strong role in their family and as a character on the show.
4. Sloane (Milana Vayntrub). And not because it's the right thing to do. She's a good person who keeps getting hurt by Kevin, even if it is done unwittingly.
5. Sophie (Alexandra Breckenridge). I really like her with Kevin. More than I even thought I would when we first got to meet her.
Honorable mention: Randall's daughters. Especially Annie.
Character I love to hate: Olivia (Janet Montgomery). Is it bad that I yell certain curse words at the screen when she is around?
Character I hate to love: Miguel (Jon Huertas). More out of loyalty to Jack than anything else. Miguel is great.
As for the season finale....while it was interesting, I was waiting for an answer that didn't come. I only know what didn't happen now. I also wish they could have just focused on the 90s and the present instead of also going to the 70s. I guessed what Randall's big life change would be before he even said it. And I was happy when he did.
What are YOUR thoughts on This is Us?
Listen to the songs on Spotify.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love it. I'm so glad Jack didn't die on his way to see Rebecca at the show. I do wish the season left them off in a good place though.
I just love this show! And I agree with everything you said except that Toby is one of your favorite supporting characters. I really liked him at first but I don't now. Hopefully he will do something to make me change my mind again! I think Beth is my favorite supporting character and I love her and Randall's relationship. I could talk about this show all day, except when I'm talking about Hamilton. :)
Post a Comment