To preface everything, I met up with Froggie, my BFF of 30 years, to celebrate our friendship and see another New Kids on the Block concert, since we did that in 1989. We picked Nashville as it was a new town for both of us to visit and a good in-between spot where we could catch the concert together.
![]() |
| Reunited at the airport! |
Highlights:
*Our Airbnb: I’ve never stayed at an Airbnb before, so this was a different experience than staying at a hotel. Our host, Jennie, was very nice and accommodating. She did her own thing, so we only saw her every so often, but when we did, we had fun chatting with her. She has the cutest little dog who shares a name with my favorite dog from my youth. If you are ever looking for an Airbnb in Nashville, check out the ones in Donelson and perhaps you’ll find her. The price was great and the space was comfortable and large enough that we weren’t breathing down each other’s necks. We could come and go as we pleased, as she had a keypad with a code for us to let ourselves in. (That worked well, since we stayed out pretty late!) Funny story….when we first arrived, GPS changed the address on me, so we almost went to the wrong house. Oops!
*Broadway Street: There’s really nothing like it. Every bar has loud, live country music coming out of the doors and windows. There are tons of people all over the place. Everyone has their own way of dressing, so it doesn’t matter if you wear a dress or a T-shirt and jeans. You just fit in anyway. I love the idea that people are performing in the bars for a chance to get discovered and potentially become famous. There’s so much energy and enthusiasm all around.
*Grand Ole Opry: This was my favorite part of the trip. I loved learning about the history of the GOO and all the love that surrounds it. Country singers seem like one big family. There’s no pretense…they show up in their cars and walk up to a side door to access the building. There are dressing rooms for every type of performer and they all have different themes. Everyone just seems to get along and support one another. They showed a video where people were told they were invited to be members of the GOO. I was getting teary-eyed seeing their reactions. They were all so genuine and appreciative. The tour guide was a lot of fun and got so excited over the smallest details at the venue.
At night, we saw a concert at the GOO. While our seats were up high, it was cool to be there and see the performers standing on the famous circle where we all got to stand and take pictures on earlier that day. The performers were The Whites, Smithfield, Jamie Lynn Spears (yes, Britney’s sister, who has an incredible voice and country vibe), Maddie and Tae (Tae looked like Tatiana Maslany when I saw her and Maddie’s super thin high heels made me trip just looking at them!), Lee Brice (whose wife just had a baby girl recently), Montgomery Gentry (whom I thought was just one person’s name and not a band), and Ricky Skaggs (classic country). They each sang three songs. This was all playing on air, as it was being broadcasted to an XM station. They even had commercial breaks. Before the show, the emcee was asking where everyone was from and it was cool to see representation from all around the US. The emcee was kind of annoying, but she kept things entertaining.
![]() |
| The circle where all singers stand when they perform |
A few of the dressing rooms:
*The NKOTB concert: The main reason we were there, of course! Not only was it NKOTB, but also Paula Abdul and Boyz II Men. B2M kicked off the concert. I almost forgot all the songs they did back in the 80s and 90s, but then they came back to me as soon as I heard the opening notes. The guys looked like they had a lot of fun performing. They even put lyrics up on the screen behind them so we could sing along. Paula’s performance was more artsy with a lot of dancing and interactive videos. There was even a video with the cat from “Opposites Attract.” She did all her classics, but her show was shorter than B2M. Then, finally, the New Kids took the stage! They performed for over two hours, playing their classics and tossing in some new ones. I like the “Dirty Dancing” song, which was new to me at the time. It was fun to sing along with the songs I listened to all the time in the 80s, especially “The Right Stuff.” Of course, Froggie and I were screaming for our favorite New Kids the whole time (hers is Donnie, mine is Joey). As an extra only-in-Nashville treat, they had Big and Rich perform. Then later, they brought Carrie Underwood onto the stage. That was so cool! They even performed songs from their earlier albums. If you were a die-hard NKOTB fan, you would know them. And, of course, they ended the concert with “Hangin’ Tough.”
![]() |
| Carrie joined them on stage! |
![]() |
| My New Kid crush! |
*Meeting Darwin Shrugged: While Froggie and DS had previously met in person, this was my first time meeting her. Honestly, it was like we had known each other our whole lives and were just friends reuniting after a long period of time. While I’ve only known her online up until now, she is the same in person. I was instantly comfortable around her. We all had a great time chatting and hung out for about two hours. I hope we’ll get to meet again one of these days.
*Manis and pedis: After we arrived in Nashville, we had to do something we always do together…get manicures and pedicures! We found this place called Sation Nails. They were really nice and the pedicure was fantastic. My nail tech had her three year-old daughter there at the time. So cute!
*Going to Target: It became a joke after a while, since Froggie had to go there a couple of times prior to us meeting up and then twice when we were together. The layout was the same as one I go to a lot. We also went to Kroger a couple of times.
Overall, it was a wonderful and unforgettable trip. I had such a fun time hanging out with Froggie and we got even more inside jokes, as well. Next time, we’re doing Vegas!
















7 comments:
What a great trip!
Sounds like an awesome trip! :)
I was in Nashville briefly and I want to go back! I also just stayed at an Airbnb for the first time and it was a cool experience.
This sounds like fun! I'd enjoy listening to NKOTB. I used to like them when I was younger.
Awesome! I love the opry and so glad that you had the chance to go :) I saw nkotb with the bsb at Verizon a couple years ago! Fun times.
Sounds like the best girlfriend getaway! I've always wanted to go to Nashville. I never get past my parents porch in Tennessee. lol
denise
I loved reading this, Melissa! How special to spend that time with your BFF and to see the New Kids! I think I have told you before that Jordan is my favorite, so I loved that pic of him!
Post a Comment