![]() |
| Courtesy of Amazon |
I've been a fan of The Goldbergs ever since I started watching season one (and then had to binge watch to catch up to the latest season). My son and I even went as Beverly and Adam for Purim this past spring! So I am keeping up my tradition of mentioning my top 10 favorite episodes of the season. I already am excited for season SEVEN! I hope they'll feature Can't Buy Me Love, Adventures in Babysitting, and maybe some other lesser-known classics like Moving Violations.
![]() |
| Me and my shmoopie |
After you check out my favorites for this season, keep reading for my thoughts on Schooled, the spin-off series.
Episode 3: Rad!
Erica's dreams come true when she lands a job at the new karaoke bar in town; Erica turns to Beverly for help bringing in more customers; Murray tries to teach Barry and Lainey how to be financially responsible adults.
Two words: Rick Springfield
Episode 6: Fiddler
Murray becomes an overzealous stage parent when he learns Adam has no interest in the school production of Fiddler on the Roof. Meanwhile, Beverly can't seem to keep from interfering with Erica's latest career plan.
Episode 7: Bohemian Rap City
Adam's obsession with toys and the Nickelodeon Super Toy Run contest is cause for concern for Beverly and Murray. Erica has a falling out with Lainey over who gets to sing Bohemian Rhapsody on their audition tape for Star Search.
Episode 11: The Wedding Singer
Beverly is in her element as she prepares for Barry and Lainey's wedding; Geoff worries about Adam's shortcomings as a wedding videographer; Barry begins to have second thoughts.
I love how they incorporated clips from The Wedding Singer.
Episode 15: My Valentine Boy
With Geoff's help, Erica and Valley Erica find a new band member to replace Lainey; Barry convinces Geoff the new band member is trying to steal Erica from him; Adam and Murray each plot to get out of going to Valentine's Day dinner with Beverly.
I learned after watching it that Evan Dando from The Lemonheads was the guy in their band.
Episode 16: There Can Be Only One Highlander Club
Despite Beverly wanting the two boys to bond, Adam and Johnny Atkins compete for the head of the Highlander Club at school; Barry tries to ensure that the JTP doesn't fall out of touch after high school.
Episode 17: Our Perfect Strangers
Erica, Barry and Adam are not happy when their distant relative Gleb visits from Russia, until they realize he can make their lives easier; Beverly starts working on her cookbook, which causes tension with the Frentas.
Episode 19: Eight-bit Goldbergs
Adam is thrilled when he has to design his own video game for school; Beverly is worried about Pops' gambling and ropes Bill Lewis into her latest scheme.
Episode 22: Mom Trumps Willow
After Adam decides to see "Willow" instead of spending Mother's Day with Beverly, he must find a way to get back into her good graces; Barry is tired of his status as middle child and fights Erica for his right to the college of his choice.
I now tease my kids by saying "I'm done" if they're rude to me.
Episode 23: Breakin'
Adam unintentionally lets it slip that Barry never completed his community service requirement; Erica makes plans for her and Geoff to follow the Grateful Dead all summer; the JTP graduates from high school.
I love how they used the end of this episode to lead into the season finale of Schooled.
Schooled
![]() |
| Courtesy of Amazon |
Schooled originally started out as this one episode about William Penn Academy in the 90's, with just Mr. Glascott (now the principal) and Coach Mellor being featured. They focused on Glascott's sister and his nieces. I believe Beverly had a cameo. It was cute enough, but was too concerned about teachers making a difference. The only part I really liked was Felicia's sister singing a Backstreet Boys song and everyone joining in.
Then they revamped it as a new series, starring A.J. Michalka reprising her role as Lainey Lewis. And it totally worked! I can't even choose a favorite episode because it wasn't on for a full season and ALL of them were really good. It was a fun look at 90's nostalgia with some appearances by characters from The Goldbergs. It got me to actually like Brett Dier (I'm not a fan of Michael from Jane the Virgin, but seeing him as C.B. changed that for me a bit. I like him better as C.B. though, and definitely without facial hair.) I like how they interview teachers and former students at the end of each episode. I am hoping that they can tone down the sappiness a bit going forward. The show doesn't have to be sappy to get the message across. We know all teachers are there to make a difference, so it doesn't need to be said all that much. Having said that, I'm excited that it will be back for a second season and I hope they can keep the momentum going.
A few things I really liked:
*The "Romy and Michele" episode. There were a lot of characters from The Goldbergs on that one.
*The JTP coming back together.
*The way Coach Mellor took over as the mathletes coach
*RENT!!! (Even though they wouldn't have rights to perform RENT back then, it was fun to watch them try.)
*Johnny Atkins as the janitor
*Glascott trying to hack e-mails
*One of the kids singing an Alanis Morissette song in a talent show
*Beverly trying to help out with an overbearing parent
*The theme song and the way they use the yearbook to go along with it.
Check out the trailer for Schooled:



2 comments:
Adam Sandler owns the production company and that's how they werw able to use the clips for the Goldbergs.
I love these two shows. The nostalgia from the eras and I grew up not too far from there, so I understand the pop culture references. I still have my Pulsations card.
The ABC Insider usually has links to behind the scenes for big episodes during the season.
denise
I've actually never heard of this. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment