Thursday, September 17, 2020

Degrassi TNG seasons 3 and 4

Courtesy of CinemaBlend


As I continue to watch Degrassi: The Next Generation, I'm going to share my thoughts after every couple of seasons. Currently, my top five favorite characters are:


1. Ellie: She has a lot going on in her life, but weathers it well. I like that she stands up for what she needs more often now.


2. Marco: He's been through a lot with coming out, but is even more amazing for it. He also puts up with a lot from his friends and stands up for himself more.


3. J.T.: I still like his playfulness and geekiness. I think he won me over when he stood up for Paige toward the end of season two and just kept going with that. 


4. Paige: She starts off as a mean girl in the first couple of seasons but has changed a lot since then. She still has mean tendencies, but I'm rooting for her more often than not. 


5. Jimmy: He actually took the time to be nice to Rick and ended up getting shot as a result. I also like how he was there for Marco in season three. 


Honorable mention goes to Joey: adults are fair game and he's so cute in his thirties. I'm annoyed that things are starting to go downhill for him and Caitlin. He's so good to Craig too, even when he shouldn't have to be. 


Thoughts on season three:

They finally covered teen pregnancy, but I'm not happy with where they took it. 


I'm glad they focused more on Marco coming out, but it was really intense at times. I also hated how Spinner treated him. However, I'm glad Spinner finally came around and was acting as his wingman later. It was sad that his parents were making themselves unapproachable in terms of coming out, especially after what his father said at the restaurant.


Paige has mellowed out a bit, but Spinner acts like a jerk most of the time. I appreciate that he's devoted to her, but still...


Toby has been really annoying, but it was nice what he did in the detention episode.


I'm glad Teri realized she was in an abusive relationship and got out of it. However, I am so annoyed that she got roped back in and feel so bad for her after what happened at the park. So scary! I hope Rick goes away for good.


I love that they have some focus on the adults from the original series. Nice to see Wheels. I wasn't sure when the actor had died, but found out it was years after he appeared on season three. I love Joey and Caitlin together and am so glad he broke up with Sydney to get back together with her. I hope Snake will be okay. His health situation definitely threw a wrench into the season. It was interesting to see Shane again. I wonder if the actor who plays him really has a brain injury because I think it would be weird to have someone acting that way if they really didn't. Especially in this day and age. I love how Emma was compassionate toward him and how she handled the situation between him and Spike. Also, it was a fun surprise to see Heather, Erica, and Liz. And yes, the Zit Remedy song still plays a lot. :) 


I don't like the new Manny. She got such an attitude after changing her look and then managed to break up a relationship and get herself into trouble. I have a hard time feeling sorry for her.


Sean has become a jerk because of hanging out with the troublemakers. However, it was nice what he did for Liberty. He's also mellowed out a bit since he first took up with them and I like that he and Ellie are dating now.


The detention episode was totally a rip-off of The Breakfast Club, complete with the five stereotypes of students. It was funny when Raditch was working out and the exercise ball kept getting away from him. The skip day was reminiscent of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.


The longer hair is working for J.T.. I also like seeing how his personality has developed over time. I feel bad for how Manny treated him. I'm glad Manny is starting to come around to possibly liking him, even though it took something drastic to make it happen. I loved J.T.'s commercial. So funny! I wonder how he even got involved in that. 


Craig and Marco need haircuts. There wasn't Covid back in 2003. There's no excuse!


I'm glad Sean confessed about the laptop and found a way to make it up to Snake.


I'm sad that Caitlin and Joey have to spend so much time apart because of her job, but I hope the time will go fast.


I like that Emma has a better relationship with Snake now and even refers to him as her dad. 


Thoughts on season four:

I don't like the new voice for the theme song. It doesn't fit as well.


I was wondering when they'd revisit the rape case. I was horrified at the cross-examination, especially since it was done by a woman. I was impressed by how supportive Spinner was being. I hope Paige can get the help she needs to feel like herself again. It sucks that she had to relive everything and that she had to deal with that jerk again. 


I'm glad Craig and Spinner finally got haircuts. Marco is at least styling his hair now.


Why would Rick come back to Degrassi after what he did?!? He should go into hiding and change his name. Huge eye roll over that. I don't blame anyone for how they treated him. He almost killed Teri! And what is going on with her now? Last we saw her, she was awake and just getting a bandage changed. What Rick ended up doing was horrible and could have been prevented. I'm not sorry that he was a casualty of his own making.


I am annoyed by Manny being so churlish toward J.T.. Also, the device he was using was hilarious. 


I felt bad for Marco with still not being able to tell his dad that he's gay. I hope he eventually will be able to, but I know his dad makes it hard for him. I'm glad he could tell his mom and that she's supportive.


There's an interesting new development with Craig this season and I can't say I saw it coming, even with how his father acted toward him. It got really intense and I'm impressed that Ashley is sticking around. 


J.T. and Liberty, huh? I guess it was bound to happen. I like how they balance each other out. J.T. makes Liberty more fun and Liberty keeps J.T. grounded.


It's cute what Caitlin did with her hair. I like it that length and color. 


I'm glad Ellie stood up to her mother and I hope her mother will be able to stay sober after rehab. It's sad that Sean left though. I hope he'll be back.


It's nice to see Shenae Grimes on the series. I knew she was on it, but wasn't sure when she came in. I liked her on 90210. 


Surprising that Mr. Raditch is leaving mid-season. Interesting that Ms. Hatzilakis (sp?) is taking over for the time being. I like her a lot in general and think she's going to make a great principal.


The situation with Paige and the student teacher was headed for trouble and of course it went there. I don't even like them together all that much. 


Manny and Paige work well as frenemies and I never know whose side I want to take. 


I hope things go further with the blood donation company being homophobic.


I love that Kevin Smith is being featured. So much fun! There's even a meta quality to his appearance. Alanis Morissette's cameo was a nice surprise, as well. Also, I can't believe Caitlin kissed him. I know he's a celebrity and all, but she has Joey! 


I don't know that I feel sorry for Spinner at all. He dug his own grave and now he has regrets. I hope he can turn things around for himself and that this will teach him never to bully anyone again. 


Stay tuned for my thoughts on seasons five and six!

No comments: