Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mama mia!

Since my older son is now five years old, I found it interesting to look back on the details of his birth. Thankfully, they weren't as gory as some other birth stories!

October 11th, 2005
01:23 pm - E's birth story

Warning: If you don't like TMI, don't read any further...

Here are the details:
On Monday, September 12, I went to my OB appointment. I was 4 days overdue at that time. She did a movement monitor and then an ultrasound to check fluid levels. She was talking about inducing later in the week or sometime next week. I really didn't want to wait that long if I didn't have to. Anyway, the fluid levels in the placenta were low, so she sent me to L&D that afternoon. My husband and I had time to eat a quick and light lunch before going to the hospital. When we got there, they started me on pitocin. They monitored contractions and the heartbeat the whole time. Then they broke my water and put something in to monitor contractions more accurately. By the evening, the contractions were starting to get bad. By 11:00, they were so painful that I requested an epidural. I was only 4 cm dilated at that point, so it was fine to do so. I got the epidural and woke up around 1:30 feeling the need to push. I was at 10 cm at that point. The actual delivery only took 45 minutes. It felt like a lot longer. Even with the epidural, it was painful and exhausting. However, it was so neat to see the baby once he came out. He was pretty quiet and they took care of the apgar tests and washing him before giving him to me. It was so amazing to hold him for the first time (and every time thereafter). :)
He had jaundice for the first few days, so I was supplementing him with formula, while also nursing. They did phototherapy before sending him home. Then we had to use a wallaby at home. Thankfully, that all did the trick and he was at an acceptable level by the next day.

I was watching "A Baby Story" on TLC, which inspired me to share this story. I think my labor was a lot easier than some I've seen on this show, but I would also never want it on video.


Follow up: Since that day, my older son has been an incredible source of joy in my life. I feel so blessed to have him as my son and to see him grow and change every day. Just this morning, my younger son fell and hurt his knee. My older son was trying to comfort him and held his hand in the car until I had to drop him off. I was so proud of his kindness and compassion toward his brother. That's just one little thing that portrays the essence of what a kind and good-natured boy he is (most of the time). We have a lot of fun together and I enjoy hearing his exuberant laugh when he's really happy or finds something to be funny. I can't wait to continue on this journey of raising him and watching him grow up (even though I told him to stay little forever when I first met him).

Side note: If you ever have to bring a wallaby (or bili blanket) home from the hospital on the first night, be prepared for a sleepless night. I'm glad it did its job, but it's the worst thing ever to have when you're trying to get a baby to sleep in your home for the first night! I still cringe just thinking about it!

No comments: