Sometimes I only get the chance to blog once a week. And since I can't always get up the motivation to think of a topic, it's nice to have other friends to blog with so we can take turns. I enjoy being challenged to write about stuff that might not normally come to mind and also reading everyone else's thoughts on the same topic. Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about a year now, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.
This week, Darwin Shrugged chose the topic: Write about the most interesting or unusual or amusing way you've made a friend.
First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
Back in 2010, I had just started the book blog, so I was looking for people and groups with similar book interests. While searching on Facebook, I found a group in my county called "The Chick Lits." I immediately signed up and started telling them about my blog and offering the possibility of connecting them with local authors. I ended up going to one of their gatherings that summer. It was a mani-pedi gathering at a local nail salon. I started to get the feeling that the group wasn't really about books or anything to do with them. (Not sure why they represented themselves that way.) I didn't really feel much of a connection to any of the women, nor did I have much to talk with them about. However, there was one woman who looked to be around my age and seemed friendly enough. Her name was more unique and stood out enough that I was able to find her on Facebook after the gathering. After that event, I wasn't really able to attend many of the other gatherings due to most of them being on Shabbat. Needless to say, I was removed from the group. I was a bit annoyed since they charged a membership fee, but at least it was a small amount. In the meantime, I'd occasionally see posts from the woman who was around my age (I'm calling her by her initials after this: R.L.). Sometimes, she'd comment on my posts too. I didn't really think to make plans with her or anything though. My mind was preoccupied with my new baby, the book blog, and work.
Fast forward to the summer of 2013. I was out to lunch with a friend from work and I saw R.L. at the restaurant. I didn't think she'd recognize me, but she came over and said hello. She was also really friendly. Afterward, I e-mailed her to say it was cool to run into her and that if we were able to go to lunch on our own in that area, we could also meet up sometimes. That turned into a monthly lunch date at the same restaurant. (When we e-mail to confirm our plans, we just say "same time, same place.") Even now, I have to check my watch to make sure we're not going too long past our allotted lunch times because we have so much to talk about. We found out a bunch of things we had in common, as well as some things that we don't, but can still appreciate about each other (she likes the Minions from Despicable Me and even though I'm not as much of a fan, I got her a DVD of their little movies for Christmas). We both have sons pretty close in age (who both like Harry Potter), get annoyed with poor grammar, don't like Frozen, love musicals (especially Rent and Into the Woods), agree on the series finale of How I Met Your Mother, etc. Sometimes we'll bring each other little gifts or treats. My favorite was when she made me a Rent cake for my birthday and then got me a personalized book embossing stamp. We also send each other humorous pictures and articles from Facebook.
Aside from the lunch dates, we haven't really gone out much. That all changed when we had a mother and son double date to see the movie of Into the Woods. Then she and her son joined my family and me for dinner afterward. It was nice to have them meet each other since I've told my husband about her and have told her about my family. I know we're planning to see a local production of Rent in the spring, so I'm looking forward to that too.
My friendship with R.L. is one I treasure and I'm thankful for the good timing that allowed us to run into each other that one day a year and a half ago.
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How could you not like Minions?! ;). Great story. How nice it is when you find someone and really connect. It's so rare.
So great that you were able to connect, then re-connect and maintain a great friendship! Great post!
Sounds like an awesome friend. I would love to meet some of my FB friends one day. But most live in other states (or countries).
Post a Comment