Thursday, April 14, 2016

The questions I haven't asked

Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about two years, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

This week, Darwin Shrugged chose the topic: Write an open letter to someone or something.

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.

Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

Dear Authors:

In my past six years of book blogging, I've had the chance to interview many of you. I usually ask light and fun questions, as well as some about your books. However, there are some I haven't asked but have been on my mind and I wanted to put them out here now. If you'd like to answer any (or all) of them in the comments section, I'd love to hear your answers. (You're even welcome to write a blog post to answer any or all of them.) They may even inspire another thought provoking blog post at my book blog.

Here goes:
*What was an idea for a book that was in your head but you could never get on paper, so you dismissed it altogether?
*Which book do you wish you wrote (not because of it being popular or a bestseller, but because you loved it)?
*What role do book bloggers play in your book promoting process?
*What is your preferred social media outlet?
*If you had written your book before the Internet came about, how well do you think it would do in generating sales?
*If you could re-write any of your books (or your one book, if you don't have others), what would you do differently?
*What would you like to ask a book blogger?
*When you receive a legitimately bad review (not a troll), how do you feel?
*Have you ever lost a friend over them giving you a bad review? (Or you doing so to them?)
*Have you ever taken constructive feedback from reviews to use for future novels?
*Have you ever contacted someone who reviewed your book that you didn't already know regarding either a good or bad review (i.e. not a book blogger or someone you're in contact with via social media, just a random reviewer)?
*Has another author ever copied one of your ideas?
*What do you think of Book Expos or other writing conventions?
*How do you decide where to have book tours?
*What is a book tour experience like for you?
*Do you read other books while in the process of writing your book? Why or why not?
*What is the publishing process really like?
*Is it crucial to have an agent in order to be published?
*Do you prefer to work with your publisher on marketing your book, or do you work with a publicist instead?
*Have you ever read a book that you wanted to give only one star to? (If you want to tell me what it was, great. If not, I understand.) If so, why?
*What do you think of the term "chick lit"?
*How do you determine if your book is a success?
*How do you get book blurbs from other authors?

Thanks for taking these questions into consideration. I'm just curious about these things.
Sincerely,
An avid book blogger

7 comments:

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

I love these questions. I usually skip the interview an author part of book reviews because I never know what to ask!

Unknown said...

In my heart I've wanted to leave a 1-star review, but never have. I feel like if someone has taken the time to endeavor authorship, it's not my goal to poop on their parade. Good for them! So even if their book is abysmal, I won't give it less than 2 stars.

When I get a legitimate bad review, I really read it and take it in. I've learned a couple things about my writing from this and I think I've become a stronger storyteller. I've also learned that some people are just mean-spirited.

You have to have a tough skin to be an author. But then again, you need a tough skin to get through life :)

Sara said...

Those were great questions. I'll be interested in reading some of the responses, not only because it would be neat to see how the authors respond, but it also gives me some much needed advice/assistance for when I'm ready to throw my own novel into the ring. Great post!

Monique said...

Good questions. I have several books I've wanted to write - and even started - but they just didn't work. Even a couple I finished. I definitely have taken on some advice from constructive reviews and I appreciate that people take the time to have a thoughtful opinion. I have definitely read books I wanted to 1 star review (Sometimes books people rave about) and there are others I just can't even finish (that others love). Early on I was told authors shouldn't review and that's one reason I don't. I appreciate all that people put into a book but I'm not going to lie and say I love something I don't. My preferred social media is Facebook and I'm always reading whether I'm writing or not.

Anonymous said...

So many great questions, Melissa. I'd better just answer a few or else I might ramble on too long!
If I'd written a book before the internet came along, I would have given up. The internet is everything to me as an independent author. I'm Australian but most of my readers are US or UK based and I would have never reached them without the internet. I love, love, love the internet.
On the subject of bad reviews, I've received plenty because my books are on the sexy side and some readers prefer the bedroom door to stay closed. It hurts every time you get one because you put so much of yourself and your heart into your writing that it can't be anything but personal. But I just remind myself that everyone has different tastes and that's what make the world a wonderful place.
I definitely take on feedback provided in reviews and it definitely shapes my work - expect for the advice to clean it up...I like sexy stories so I'll keep on writing them ;)

Unknown said...

There are so many of these questions I'd love to see answered! I adore the Internet, and what it's opened up for me and others who are self published, as well as offering a world of books that may never have been discovered, but saying that, I liked a time where the book shop was king(Queen), and think I would have pushed forever and hopefully have got a book deal that way. The bad review thing is a minefield, I understand that bad reviews are horrific for authors, but I think a bad review can help the author and even draw someone in, I've regularly read books because a bad review has told me I'd like something that that particular reviewer didn't! I try not to review books of people I'd have had a lot of interactions with, but saying that, so far it's been okay and I've loved their books, thank goodness! I have had one author I interacted with a fair bit and I gave a bit of constructive criticism in a review and never heard from her again, and that was sad, but your 'job' is to tell the people. As for regrets on my book, I think I'd have continued to look for an agent/publisher. Sorry about the length of the comment and again, great post!!!

Meredith said...

I have absolutely read books I wanted to give 1 or 2 stars to, but couldn't. It gave me book blogger envy which helped inspire me to write Blogger Girl! As an author, I know how difficult it is to write a novel and to receive a 1 star review. I won't do that to another author and assume someone else will do it for me. But as a reader and as an editor, sometimes I really want to give a thorough constructive review!!!

I have learned from constructive feedback, for sure. Mostly from my earlier books. I get upset when I receive a negative review, but it's rarely about the writing (that would upset me) and mostly about the reader's dislike of the character or inability to connect to the story. Those don't bother me much because they are so subjective and I know that I can't please everyone.

I go about getting quotes/blurbs chock full of nerves. I'm about to begin asking now for my upcoming novel and it's especially scary because it's a new genre and one where I do not have as many connections. But I am very polite and ask in a no-pressure way.

I do read other books while I am writing mine. Writing and reading are both like breathing to me so I couldn't give up if I tried. I also find I learn from really well-written books and it helps me look at my own writing more objectively.

My definition of success changes by the day - usually depending on that time of the month :)