Friday, October 16, 2020

Book Review: Between the Lines and Off the Page

Over the past couple of months, I read two fabulous novels. I have always been a fan of Jodi Picoult (ever since a friend recommended The Pact in 2004), but I had held off on reading her young adult novels that were written with her daughter Samantha van Leer. My older son devoured both novels and told me I just had to read them, so I decided to give Between the Lines a chance. I was blown away by the sheer creativity and imaginativeness of this novel. 

While I normally share the synopsis from Amazon, I'm not going to do it this time, as to not spoil anything. Basically, Between the Lines is about a fairy tale where the characters are real people living inside a book and the story they are telling isn't the one that they are actually living. One day, a lonely teenage girl named Delilah picks up the book and finds that the main character, Oliver, is trying to communicate with her. The story takes off from there, connecting these two people in their quest for Oliver's freedom from the pages and his daily minutiae. Off the Page picks up where Between leaves off and there are many more adventures and complications for Oliver, Delilah, and everyone else in their lives. 

These novels are perfect for fans of The Princess Bride and Enchanted. I loved them both so much. I had no idea what would happen in each book and was kept guessing the entire time. There were so many interesting surprises along the way. I could definitely relate to Delilah with being unpopular and obsessed with books. (Although, I read horror and V.C. Andrews novels in high school and would not want any of those coming to life!) Even now, I'm obsessed with something I'm probably too old for. Oliver sounded like he was really cute and the pictures said as much. I love how the book characters led these other lives when the story wasn't being read. Like the pirate who practiced orthodontia on the side. Or the queen who liked to cook and bake extravagant feasts. And the villain who was an artist. 

There were funny moments, as well as a few sad parts. I hope there will be a third novel, as I feel more could still happen with this story. Even though I'm an adult, I was easily drawn in (no pun intended) and my husband enjoyed them too (but not to the same level that my son and I did). 

I noticed an inconsistency at one point in Between, but it didn't take away from my overall enjoyment. I sometimes need to take off my editor glasses when I read! 

I definitely recommend both novels to anyone who wants an escape, some humor, creativity, and adventure.

Movie casting suggestions:
Delilah: Jordyn Negri
Oliver: Alex Cowgill
Seraphima: Angourie Rice
Rapscullio: Sacha Baron Cohen
Jules: Maya Hawke
Queen Maureen: Saffron Burrows
Delilah's mom: Zoe McLellan

Disclosure of Material Connection:
Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1 comment:

Carole said...

I didn't know she wrote YA! Thanks and cheers from CArole's Chatter