Thursday, May 22, 2014

Never again

Our blog project group has once again changed by one member, but I'm still calling it Blog Project 3.0. The newest member is Darwin Shrugged, a friend of Froggie's. I recently got to know her better through "52 Stories" and I look forward to what she has to say on the upcoming topics.

This week Moma Rock chose the topic: What is something (or more than one thing) you've done or tried (been there, done that) that you will never do again?

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

I definitely couldn't narrow my list down to one thing, so I'm glad we had the option to list more. Here's my list, in no particular order.

Go to school: There was a time when I entertained the idea of going to grad school. That was before kids came into the picture. I've since lost the motivation to sit and learn anything and the idea of standardized tests to get into school is beyond scary at this point.

Spend New Year's Eve in Times Square: I did it once, a long time ago, and have no desire to do so ever again. It's freezing, noisy, crowded, and you wait for several hours for something to happen. You don't get to see any celebrities and the ball looks like a tiny speck from down on the ground. Then you're fighting crowds while covered in chunks of confetti, just to get out of the city afterward. It's not as organized as Disney World's exit strategy. I'm happy to watch from the comfort of my couch, thank you very much! I have had some other memorable NYE celebrations, but the best times have been spent with close friends.

Ride a roller coaster: It's not out of fear as much as nausea. My body is no longer equipped for fast rides that go all over the place.

Go to "Rocky Horror": Just like I'm no longer Magenta, I also can't rationalize staying up at a theater listening to people half my age yelling the lines I used to have memorized back in the day. Even in my 20s, I found myself falling asleep halfway through the movie. I'll always have my memories...

Ride an ATV in desert (even if I'm not the one controlling it): As to not have to rehash this tale, see this post from a few years ago.

Get eye surgery: Unless it's a matter of saving my eyes (like for cataracts or glaucoma), I'm not doing elective eye surgery ever again. I had LASIK back in 1999. I love being able to see 20/20, but I also get dry eyes often and I think I'd rather get wisdom teeth pulled then go through the feeling of someone touching my eyes and having them hurt worse than the time my daughter scratched one of them last year. So if it's a matter of simple vision correction, I don't mind reverting back to glasses at this point. The surgery has more than paid for itself thus far.

Watch Frozen: I know I'm in the minority and that the songs are constantly stuck in my head, but I don't see myself sitting through the entire movie again. I still don't see what the big deal is with it.

Set foot inside an IHOP: I know it's not Kosher anyway, but my boycott has gone on for almost 18 years now. It was THAT bad to be a server there.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I love that you and I both started our posts with, "in no particular order". I couldn't narrow mine down, either. I've always wondered what Times Square would be like when the ball drops, and now I know it's not nearly as glamorous as it looks on TV! Great post!

Denise K. said...

The IHOP one made me LOL.i I've never been a fan but I went a few years ago and they'd added a "lite" menu that was pretty good. In case you decode to try again ... ;)

AiringMyLaundry said...

I am with you on going on a roller coaster. I just can't go on them anymore. It really messes up my stomach.

I wouldn't enjoy Times Square on New Years either. I don't deal well with being cold and if I can't move around, I wouldn't be thrilled.

Janine said...

I'm with you on all of them. But, IHOP, I just can't give up. Even thought it's been years since I've been there (and you're right about the servers), some times I just get that craving that no one else can fix. I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras. But, I'm sure it's like New Year's Eve in NYC, too crowded and more hype then it's worth. Plus, at my age, I would probably get annoyed with the crowds.