In case you missed my thoughts on episodes 1-5, you can find them here. Thoughts on episodes 6-9 can be found here. A full episode list can be found here. And if you missed my thoughts on season one, they're right here.
Reminder that spoilers are included.
Episode 10, "Little Mustachioed Sh*t":
It was nice to see Mendez be taken down for something, even though it was also bittersweet on the heels of Daya's guilt over everything. I wish he had been caught for the drug smuggling and Miler's death instead of for being set up and a false fatherhood claim, but that's all they had to work with in order to get him out of the picture. I didn't like how Figueroa was spinning things to make herself look good. I was glad that Caputo got to fire him though. Piper and Alex's relationship history is interesting, but I would have preferred another inmate's back story instead. The flaming poop scene was funny and made me think of Billy Madison. The trick didn't work so well when Piper had her brother do it to Polly. Especially since Polly knew what it would be. I figured it was just a way to send a message, but still. It didn't seem to faze Polly too much. I don't get why Piper lied to Red about the store or what anyone would gain from that. I think I'd rather hear bad news from a friend than from someone I didn't like. Also, what is in the letter from Alex to Piper? I like the new group Pennsatucky and Healy are starting. I think it's a nice idea. I just wish more people were on board. Vee is still awful, and knowing what she did to Red last week makes things worse. I hate how she's using Crazy Eyes as her puppet and am actually disappointed that Crazy Eyes has become so mean as a result. I was appalled at her ruining Rosa's breakfast and horrified when she beat up Poussey. Vee also let Watson take the fall for the contraband. I'm glad that Nicky turned in the drugs [to Red] that Taystee gave her. Nicky also came through for Morello when Christopher confronted her. Even though we know what Morello did, it's still easy to feel mortified for her. I don't know why he couldn't just take out a stronger restraining order or get a better security system. Aside from all the drama, I love Sophia's new hairstyle. I felt bad for her that her son still won't talk to her. I also love that Yoga Jones suddenly supports Soso's hunger strike and her reasons for doing so.
Episode 11, "Take a Break from Your Values":
It was nice to finally learn Sister Ingalls' back story. I didn't see that coming because she always seems so reserved. The book was really funny though. I just thought she was getting too fanatical by the end about the hunger strike. While I can see where the prison doesn't want to bear responsibility if she gets sick from not eating, I also thought they violated her rights by force feeding her. It reminds me of how they made Soso shower against her will. Leanne and the other girl were being annoying with their food demands that had nothing to do with real issues at the prison. Maple syrup, really?!? The "Edward Pizzahands" was amusing though. I'm worried for Alex not being under witness protection. It's crazy that Kubra got off on a technicality after all the court craziness in episode one. It's interesting that Piper is getting transferred. Who is going with her and where will she go? Will we not see Litchfield next season?!? I'm glad Polly and Larry came clean to Polly's husband, even though Larry got punched as a result. I wonder what will come of this new relationship. I'm annoyed that Crazy Eyes showed up at Safe Place. I wonder if Poussey would have spoken up otherwise. I love how Poussey told off Vee and that led to Vee making her Taystee's "problem." I felt bad for Big Boo even though she was a rat. It was lame that Vee pushed her away like that, even though we should expect that from her by now. Who did the old woman kill at the end if it wasn't Vee? Did Vee know what was coming and set her up? I wonder what will happen between Daya and Bennett now. I'm so annoyed that the Pornstache situation made things ugly between them.
Episode 12, "It Was the Change":
Despite the fact that the living conditions due to the flood were completely inadequate, even for a prison, I thought the whole situation propelled the story along nicely. I liked the urgency and frequency of the calls from Caputo to Figueroa, while she's at her party. I'm glad that Piper found a way to get the papers that would get Figueroa in trouble once and for all. I'm surprised Caputo put her in the SHU if she was ultimately helping him. I also loved the twist with Figueroa catching her husband making out with another man. (His assistant, no less!) Having all the women in close quarters made new tensions rise and also made for interesting humor. The 90s music sing-along was funny. Leanne and her friend were annoying with getting high on nutmeg. The dialogue between Pennsatucky and Big Boo was hilarious, especially in light of Pennsatucky's conversation with Healy. I am still worried about Piper in regards to the transfer. It's also horrible that they are going to transfer Ruiz and that she won't get to see her baby. Speaking of babies, the conversation between Daya and Bennett was interesting. I hope he'll man up soon. I know whatever decision he makes will have its own set of consequences though. Such a predicament. (If I haven't mentioned this yet, Matt McGorry a.k.a. Bennett is now on my celebrity crush list.) I'm glad Vee excommunicated Taystee after Poussey ruined her stash. It shows Taystee Vee's true colors. I'm also glad she and Poussey made up. Vee's back story about getting RJ killed was so disturbing. It would be hard to watch episode two again and know that Vee was behind it all. There's no limit to her evil. I was hoping Red would just kill her and be done with it. I didn't trust Vee at all when she called a truce. I saw the greenhouse incident coming from a mile away. It was definitely a shocking end to the episode and made me want to watch the finale right away afterward.
Episode 13, "We Have Manners. We're Polite.":
First of all, I'm impressed that Red is still alive and kicking after what Vee did to her. She could have sustained a major brain injury. The most despicable thing of all is that Vee set up Crazy Eyes to take the blame. It broke my heart because Crazy Eyes was so devoted to her and didn't see this coming. And yet she somehow went along with it because she believed she was capable of such a thing. I'm so glad Healy finally listened to Red and found a way to cover for Crazy Eyes. Still, the moment where she's crying on the bed is just so sad. I'm glad Cindy and Watson came around to Taystee and Poussey's side. I love that Nicky is the one who stole the drugs. I didn't see that coming and was so pleased at what it brought about by Vee showing her remaining girls what she's really like.
I love how Red negotiated with Sister Ingalls to get her to eat. And then Caputo came in and made her eat again when he didn't realize that she already broke her "fast." It was funny how the one guard had to "babysit" the nuns and was singing these crazy songs he made up.
I loved everything about Caputo, especially how he got Figueroa to go down on him after he had already turned her in for embezzlement anyway. That was such a perfect moment when she was done and he told her it was out of his hands anyway. And it was so funny how he was only on the job for two days and everything was already going wrong, but he thought his biggest problem was Bennett finally confessing about Daya and the baby. I guess he has to lose his morals for the job after all! I love that he ended the transfer order so that Piper and Ruiz could stay at Litchfield.
Piper still makes things all about herself and I'm glad Nicky called her out on that. I'm still glad she's looking out for Alex's well-being, even if she has selfish motives. I'm glad Polly is at least helping her. Larry needs to get off his high horse. They're obviously even now so why is it his problem if Alex and Piper end up together now? I love that the probation officer is named Davy Crockett. It was scary when someone was trying to get into Alex's apartment, even if it was just the landlord. I guess this all means Alex will be back for season three? And here I thought she was going to be off the show altogether. I guess she loved it too much to leave!
Pennsatucky's short hair choice is interesting. It makes her look tougher. Leanne and the other girl were so mean about it though. Their little song was very immature. I'm glad Pennsatucky told Healy that the Safe Place was a good thing for her.
It sounds like Soso is more realistic about prison life now. I wonder what will come of her in season three. I want to hear her story, especially regarding the friend she always brings up.
I love how Morello was describing Toy Story. That was too funny. I'm glad she left the van keys for Rosa because they might as well have given her compassionate release anyway. It wasn't worth her staying in prison if she was just going to die soon anyway. I'm sad that she won't be back next season. All of this led up to the BEST ENDING EVER (aside from the season two season finale of The Mindy Project, of course). I love what Rosa said after she hit Vee and how she went riding off into the sunset feeling like her old self. And I love that they played "Don't Fear the Reaper" because all I could think was "more cowbell!"
All in all, season two was even better than season one! So many crazy twists and turns.
I just saw this article with some interesting background facts about the cast and characters. I am eagerly awaiting season three. It can't get here soon enough! Thankfully, I found a fun group on Facebook that likes to discuss OITNB all the time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Rosa as she hits Vee; "Always SO RUDE." Hahahahaha! What a fantastic ending to another brilliant season. :)
Great blog, Melissa! xoxo
I LOVED the rude comment. Haha.
I'm enjoying this show a lot.
Post a Comment