Thursday, January 22, 2015

Me, My Selfie, and I

Sometimes I only get the chance to blog once a week. And since I can't always get up the motivation to think of a topic, it's nice to have other friends to blog with so we can take turns. I enjoy being challenged to write about stuff that might not normally come to mind and also reading everyone else's thoughts on the same topic. Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about a year now, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.

This week, Moma Rock chose the topic: Selfies

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

When I first received this topic, it was hard not to laugh. I had just been complaining to Froggie earlier that week about how horribly bad I am at taking selfies. I think I complained to other people about it on Facebook recently, as well. Like my son took a picture of me for my recent profile photo and someone asked me why I didn't just take a selfie. How about: Because I wouldn't look that great?!? 

When I try to take a selfie, I usually end up looking at something outside of the range of the photo. Or my eyes look crazy. Or my smile is totally lopsided. Or the positioning of my face in the lighting makes it look strange. So it's rare that I get a good selfie. Usually, if someone else is the one handling the camera, it comes out better than when I handle it. Someone suggested I get a selfie stick, but I'm not sure how to use it, nor do I want to carry around an extra contraption just to take a good picture of myself.

In any case, here are a few that I'm not embarrassed to share. They're from my "Selfies Gone Right" collection. Enjoy!

December 2013 (New Year's Eve): Taken with one of my close friends in the area. Since she was the one pressing the button, I somehow managed to look normal in the picture, as well.

May 2014: Reunited with my friend Amanda, whom I've been friends with for 24 years now. We met up on her birthday when I went to NYC for Book Expo America (BEA). My eyes were actually super red and itchy when I took this pic, but you can't tell. Oh, and I got her that stunning bowtie as a birthday gift. 
May 2014:  For getting to be in a selfie with a celebrity, it wasn't too bad. :)

July 2014: Hard to believe this is a selfie. It's one of my favorites!

August 2014: Taken at Brickfair (a huge Lego expo). It was the best I could do given the lighting.

August 2014: My husband took this one, but I somehow managed to look like I'm staring at something out in the distance. I think I still look cute in this, albeit slightly toasted.

5 comments:

Denise K. said...

I love your title! And good for you for sharing pics -- you're braver than I ...

Janine said...

You have some good selfies on here. I'm horrible at taking them. I just got where I flat out refuse to even try anymore. And, asking my husband to take a picture is not easy either. I think he takes the worse pictures just so I don't ask. So that's why you see mostly my cat pictures on Facebook. They always look good in their pictures.

Sara said...

I like the one with you and your husband the best- you're glowing! I think you look cute in your selfies!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I hate that s word and refuse to use it.

I just call them photos. I don't take a lot of photos of myself because I usually look scary. Or startled. Or both.

You look great in your photos!

susieqlaw said...

You look great in your selfies!