This week, I chose the topic: Nostalgia
First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
I was inspired to choose this topic after hearing that Ed Debevic's, one of my favorite restaurants from my youth, is closing its iconic Chicago location. I know they're looking for a new location, but still...there was something about driving on Wells Street and just seeing it there. It was bad enough that the location in Deerfield shut down to become a Greek restaurant a long time ago. My family and I used to go to that location all the time. Still, the first time I went to Ed's was in Chicago and the waitress' name was Minnie, but my dad called her "Pot Pie" because she showed the special of the day on her shirt, right by her name tag. Oh, and we mustn't forget the World's Smallest Sundae!
![]() |
| My 11th birthday party at Ed's |
Since I do like talking about nostalgia a lot, there are so many directions it could go. In honor of Ed Debevic's, I'm going to talk about favorite foods from my youth. Before I do, there are some other restaurants I want to mention. First of all, I love this page called Craig's Lost Chicago. It shows all these restaurants that are no longer around. I remember a bunch from my youth. I was also thinking about Farrell's, where we'd go on special occasions. They had this candy shop in the front of the restaurant. When they brought dessert out for a birthday or whatever, they'd put a sparkler on it and bang a drum. And then there was Wizard's, which made what Dairy Queen calls the "Blizzard." But that came after Wizard's started doing it. It was in a few malls and definitely a special treat after enduring a boring shopping trip. :) Speaking of malls, I used to always go to One-Potato-Two whenever I visited the food court. I loved their baked potato smothered in melted cheddar cheese.
*Rondos and Bon Bons: Bite size pieces of chocolate covered ice cream that were just so good. I remember getting Rondos on an airplane for dessert and was so excited because I loved them that much!
*Daiquiri Ice and Miami Ice: Some sherbet flavors I really enjoyed at Baskin Robbins. I think Miami Ice was only around for a short time in honor of Miami Vice.
*Peanut Butter Boppers: Logs of peanut butter covered with nuts and crisp rice. Some had chocolate in them too. I used to eat these every day with a cup of hot cocoa while watching Double Dare.
*Zeltzer Seltzer and New York Seltzer: For some reason, Sound Warehouse (a record store in the 80s) would sell Zeltzer Seltzer. It was just really good flavored seltzer water. New York Seltzer came around after Zeltzer was discontinued, but it wasn't the same.
*Pan fried Cantonese noodles: I can't seem to find these at a Kosher Chinese restaurant, so they are a thing of the past for me. I got them all the time at the Chinese restaurant where I worked for a few years. They were soooo good and I miss them.
*Planter's chocolate crisps: They were these little cookies that were shaped like peanuts and had chocolate filling. Apparently, they've been discontinued since 1995. They were so addictive.
*Chewels gum: These pieces of gum had this flavor burst inside once you bit into them. Like a liquid would come out.
*Ranch Ruffles: I loved these in seventh or eighth grade. I don't know why they stopped making them.
*Little ice cream cones with marshmallow topping: They used to be a treat that I'd get in goody bags at birthday parties. Later, I'd just buy them at Phar-Mor and go through a whole package easily.
*Push-Ups: The first time I had an Amaretto Stone Sour, it tasted like an orange Push-Up. It's amazing I didn't get drunk that night!
*Sara Lee lasagna: Before I kept Kosher, I loved Sara Lee's meat lasagna. It just tasted so incredible. We lived by a Sara Lee outlet store and would get it all the time.
I know this is only a handful of items. I was looking through food nostalgia posts online for others to see what I missed. A lot of the same things kept coming up. There were some crazy cereals that I apparently missed out on as a kid. I did enjoy Smurf Berry Crunch though. What Smurfs fan would I be otherwise?!? In any case, there are a lot of foods that anyone could become nostalgic over, but I just wanted to talk about the stuff I really enjoyed and miss now.
What foods make YOU nostalgic? I'd love to hear about them in the comments section.







4 comments:
Omg!!! I remember peanut butter boppers!!
Ooh! I forgot about Chewels. Remember Marathon bars? I miss those. There were also these "space" vitamin sticks that were probably gone before you were born -- so good. I have mixed memories Ed Debevic's. I went there a TON in high school and college, and we had fun eating cheese fries and Green Rivers for late-night dinner. But I took my eldest there for her 12th birthday and I felt they took the "sassy waitress" thing too far. Our waiter got my daughter so upset, she wouldn't eat, and he made a boy at the next table cry. Haven't gone back since. I doubt I'll visit the new location . . . though I do miss the cheese fries.
We may have talked about this before, but I LOVED Ed Debevics! I used to go all the time in Phoenix. It was one of the first restaurants I went to when I visited AZ many years ago, and I had thought about applying for a job there. My life took another turn or two, but it was right by the place I used to work for, so it was easy to go there, once/week. I had a great friendship with one of the waiters there. Even though he picked on me and gave me crap, I knew it was part of the gig. And, I felt special.
Great post. Seeing all of these treats has made me hungry.
Post a Comment