Blog Project 3.0 has been going on for about two years, even though one of the group members changed after a few months. I love blogging with this group and I hope we can continue to inspire each other.
This week, Darwin Shrugged chose the topic: Talk about a time music touched you at your very core.
First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic. I will be only posting links to posts on this same topic from my group. So check back if you were hoping to read their blogs and don't see a link yet.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
After receiving this topic, I was watching an episode of Parenthood from season five, where this girl talks about a Joni Mitchell song that resonates a lot with her. Funny timing, huh? (But that's how it usually is for Darwin and myself.)
In any case, a lot of music touches me to my core in different ways and for different reasons. I'm just going to give some examples today.
"One More Time" from Sing.
This is the final song from one of my favorite movies. It's an incredible performance. I wanted to share the version from the movie vs. the one Michael Bolton does on the soundtrack. The version in the movie still gives me chills as I listen to it now. Not sure if watching this video is a spoiler for you, but it's impossible to find the movie anywhere, so it's not like you'll get the joy of seeing it as many times as I did growing up. And it's worth watching this just for Peter Dobson's knee slide. :) I can't even watch the video without getting teary-eyed.
"Here's Where I Stand" from Camp
This scene is also a movie spoiler, so if you don't want to watch the scene below, you can just listen here. The message behind the song is so poignant. She's singing it to people who want her to look different than she does. I don't want to say anymore about this in case you're planning to see the movie.
"She Didn't Have Time" by Terri Clark
This is a great song and the video enhances it perfectly. I can't listen without getting emotional and I cry every time I see the video. It reminds me of Where the Heart is in some ways.
Beethoven Symphony 7, Allegretto, movement 2
I heard this in both Knowing and The King's Speech and it's pretty incredible. It always haunts me.
I also tend to get emotional when I hear someone singing beautifully. I remember the first time I saw Sister Act and didn't expect the quiet nun to be able to sing much, but then she when lifts her voice in "Hail, Holy Queen," I started crying. If you don't feel like watching the whole thing, forward to the 2:00 point.
When I was in high school, my chorus class did this song. It was so much fun!
Any time I hear Karen Olivo singing in In the Heights, I end up crying. Her voice is so amazing. I know I shared this video in past, but I just love this song. :)
When I saw The Little Mermaid at a local professional theater last year, as soon as the girl playing Ariel started singing, the tears started flowing. Her voice was so beautiful. Here's her audition video:
Finally, most Broadway musicals manage to touch me to my core. A few on the list are The Last Five Years, Rent, In the Heights, Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Wicked, Into the Woods, and Aida, just to name a few. I've cried from all of these musicals at least one point during the show. I love the cathartic feeling from seeing these shows.
What music has touched you to your core? Please comment below.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh so much has. It's hard to think of them all at once, but sometimes I'll be randomly riding in my car and a song come on my Spotify and boom tears!
I'm laughing because I have not heard a single one of these songs! Funny how different things touch different people differently. I'll have to listen to these. STILL haven't listened to all of "Let it Go"!!!
I love Sister Act! Such a great scene in the movie. The one that gets me is Sia's Breathe Me, at the end of the last episode of Six Feet Under. I cry every time I've seen it!
I have a few songs that I have to change the station when I hear them come on in the car.
Nice songs. I love that song from Sister Act.
Post a Comment