Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.
I don't personally know this week's storyteller. A friend of mine passed the questions along to her as she felt she'd be someone interesting to read about. My friend was right about that!
Name you'd like to go by: Katie Lee
Age (or age range): 40’s
Gender: Female
Location: Maryland
What is an experience that is legendary for you?
I just published my first book, What Endures. That was pretty epic because this was a dream that I’ve had since I was 15 years old. I still have a “whoa!” moment when I go to Amazon.com and see my book listed there.
What is your guilty pleasure?
I like vampire shows. I watch The Vampire Diaries and True Blood faithfully. I’m looking forward to the Dracula show with Jonathan Rhys-Myers this fall. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was one of my favorite shows ever.
What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
There are SO MANY things which I think is a sign that I still love this crazy little journey called “life.” Just some things off the top of my head are – be an extra in a movie, scuba dive, live in France for a few months, ride a motorcycle.
If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
It’d probably be a book. . .or chocolates. Heck, why not both? Books and chocolates!
What is something you did that changed someone's life?
Gosh this is tough. I honestly don’t know. I hope if I have changed someone’s life, it’s for the better. I try and subscribe to the “pebble in a pond” rule. . .that you never know the real impact of your actions because something small could have far reaching consequences, just like the waves that radiate outwards when you drop a pebble in a pond, so make sure your actions are as well-intentioned as possible.
What part of your personality is now extinct?
I don’t know that it’s extinct but it’s getting to be less and less of a factor which is my tendency to worry. I used to worry all the time about the ‘what-if’s’ and I started to realize that it was letting fear be the driver of my life choices. So in the last few years I’ve taken the approach that I should just jump in and see what happens and it’s been a pretty incredible ride. I mean there have been some bumps and bruises but no regrets.
What is one thing that you find really funny?
I feel mean for saying this but people falling down. I used to laugh uproariously at America’s Funniest Home Videos – still do when I catch a re-run. I am klutzy myself so believe me when I bump into the things, I’m the first one cracking up!
Tell me one thing you love about yourself (or a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue):
I like my resiliency and persistence. Once I’ve made up my mind about something, I don’t let anything stop me. I’ve faced a lot of obstacles in life and I’m proud to say I’ve overcome a lot too. Losing my hearing at 17 should have derailed me from my dream of becoming an attorney, but it didn’t. Similarly, having my manuscript stuck in limbo with an agent that couldn’t get it unstuck should have derailed my dreams of becoming a published author but it didn’t. I don’t see obstacles, I see challenges and I love challenges (as long as there are cupcakes and chocolates along the way!)
What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
I wish it was like Veronica Mars where I’m kicking ass left and right, but it’s probably more When Harry Met Sally with the neurotic over-thinking and kvetching with good friends.
What is something that not many people know about you?
I get hurt easily but don’t necessarily show it. I think years of having to be strong have given me a tough exterior – that’s probably one of the things people will tell you about me – that I’m strong or “feisty” but my feelings do get hurt and only those really close to me ever know it or see it.
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment