Thursday, October 17, 2013

Age appropriate

As for right now, it's the three of us...Froggie, Moma Rock and myself. We may have someone else join us in the future, but for now we're just going to write to our hearts' content.

This week, I chose the topic: Do you act your age? How do you act younger and/or older than you are?

Before reading ahead, first see what Froggie and Moma Rock had to say on this topic.

This topic was inspired by some books I've been reading where there were older adults and people in their 20s or 30s. There would be all these contrasts between the generations in how they viewed friendships, relationships, careers, life, etc. And then I found an article in my Facebook newsfeed about some "truths" on turning 40. Oddly enough, with about three years to go, I can already relate to a lot of the items on the list.

I don't know if I act my age. Does 37 even have a feel? It's like this abyss between 35 and 40. Don't laugh, but I actually am looking forward to turning 40. It's the new 30, from what I've heard. And I like milestone birthdays. In regards to my topic, I'm going to share a few lists.

How I act my age (some of these items are from the aforementioned article about turning 40, oddly enough):

  • "At the doctor's office, I bypass Cosmopolitan and reach for Redbook. I'll even read Family Circle. There are some great recipes in there." I admit that I'll sometimes read Cosmopolitan for the "confessions" section, but most of it seems too "young" for me. Same goes for Glamour. I feel like I'm exploring some guilty pleasure when I am caught reading either. I do have an extensive Family Circle collection and I will recycle most of them once I get the recipes I want from each one.
  • "Even if I finally get a full night's sleep, I still look like I was up all night. But not up all night doing something cool." Enough said! I stay up past midnight on Saturday but mostly to do online stuff.
  • "If I strolled across a college campus, people would assume teacher, not student." Honestly, I haven't felt like I fit in on a college campus since I graduated.
  • "I say things like, 'What's the name of that actor, you know, he was in that thing?'" Yes, I am losing my "Pop Culture Queen" mojo. I can't even remember the names of people I know in real life. And I mix up the names of everyone in my house. (My husband has been called by both my sons' names. Wait till I call him by my daughter's name...)
  • I can't go on carnival rides aside from carousels, as I get motion sickness otherwise.


How I act older than my age:

  • I actually say "When I was your age...."
  • I have a hard time getting up to date with technology. Of course, once I do, I act like it's the greatest invention in the world. Still, I use a cassette player and wouldn't mind having a VCR again.
  • I listen to the Rat Pack and other singers from that time period.
  • I complain about aches and pains.
  • I prefer to stay closer to home whenever possible and go to the same familiar places all the time.
  • If I'm not already one of those people who will steal kids' balls when they get thrown in my yard, I will be eventually. There are very few kids outside my own that I have any patience for (the kids I like, aside from my own, should/will know who they are).

How I act younger than my age:

  • I like teen shows...well, the one teen show I loved is no longer on.
  • My iPhone cover is very cutesy, with owls that have little jewels in their eyes. 
  • I laugh about really immature stuff, like fart jokes. 
  • I will go to a Disney (or other animated) movie without my kids, even though they would not be happy about that arrangement...it's more that I don't need them as my excuse for seeing the movie.
  • I still am fond of "Babysitter's Club" and "Sweet Valley High" books and would happily spend a day having a Full House marathon.
  • I talk like a teenager on social media sometimes.





1 comment:

Sara said...

I somehow managed to get a subscription to Cosmo... I never ordered it, but I get it every month! LOL! I also do the "when I was your age" bit... man, that always makes me feel super old!